Four page advert for Dandy number 1

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Four page advert for Dandy number 1

Post by stevezodiac »

I must have copied this from ebay or Vault auctions a couple of years back. It's a bit small and some bits are upside down but that's how it appeared and its better than nothing. Must be as rare as the comic itself if not more so.

Just noticed it is formatted like the Sunday Post Fun Section and was to be cut out and folded to create a four page comic. Would love a copy even a photocopy. Anyone know who owns it?

Digifiend

Re: Four page advert for Dandy number 1

Post by Digifiend »

There was a version of that for Beano issue 1 as well, mentioned in The History of The Beano. I think both were included in the Big 5 boys papers of the era. It was in fact 8 pages, as the sheet of paper split four ways and was printed on both sides. That's why neither Desperate Dan or Korky the Cat are in that picture - they're on the back. Every story in issue 1 should be at least name-checked, even if the characters aren't shown.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

It's interesting to see the start of the Dandy - although it was by no means the first ever comic, it, along with the Beano which started the following year, went on to become one of the most successful and influential British comics, and is still running today in a rather, well, different format...

I wonder what the kids of 1937 would have thought of Dandy Xtreme? Or, for that matter, the parents or even the comic editors!
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

or vice versa! :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: Somehow, I think modern kids would hate the lack of colour and the fact that several of the stories were just text with only a heading picture. As for 1937 kids and today's Xtreme? The kids wouldn't understand half of it - video games didn't exist, TV had only just launched and only had one channel, and some of the lingo in the stories would be alien to them.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I have a original copy still in situ in the Rover boys paper in which it came. I remember Deis Gifford reprinted both this one and the one for the Beano when he began the ACE Newsletter Comic Cuts.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Kashgar, have you considered running off photocopies and selling them on ebay? I'd happily pay a tenner for one. Impossible to get hold of any other way i'd reckon.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Ive been searching for one for years is my wait nearly over :xfingers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'd settle for scans posted right here for free. ;)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

These are the four pages of the flyer that have not yet been posted.
Attachments
newpics0001.jpg
newpics0002.jpg

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks! :D I'm surprised that Desperate Dan never got namechecked, I expected any omissions to be text stories. Guess they weren't expecting him to become the longest running character.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's an ad I've just found in one of Denis Gifford's ACE fanzines.