Dandy again...

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

skyromie

Re: Dandy again...

Post by skyromie »

wicked-stepladder wrote:Design it properly and give readers some content rather than page after page of half-arsed features that took ten minutes to make. Sorry, but this really angers me...
Not that I'm in the business of defending people when they can come on here and do it themselves, could you please provide us a piece of your work so that we can scrutinise it to a fine inch and slag it off regardless?

Thank you.
The weather is windy.

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

MikeC wrote:
wicked-stepladder wrote:
Fair points Digi, but those characters were on the cover and it didn't halt the downfall of sales. Today's logic is that putting Star Wars or Harry Potter on the cover is far more likely to have a recognition factor than Desperate Dan. It's hard to argue against that.
Certainly, Lew. But why arn't they using both sets of characters on the cover? It's a further example of there being no "glue" to hold everything together.

They had an established brand name and have practically decided to ditch it. Since the Dandy went "Xtreme", distribution has become noticably poorer. And no doubt overall product recognition too.
Thomsons have really tried to make The Dandy survive. The 2004 all-new-strip revamp made it look bright and modern, and the Xtreme revamp tried to emulate the popular magazine style of today. What else could they have done?
Design it properly and give readers some content rather than page after page of half-arsed features that took ten minutes to make. Sorry, but this really angers me...
Presumably because their opinion of what is right differs from yours. And as they have jobs in the industry, presumably they are better informed than you. Lew is right. Magazines don't do anything because they're :censored: , they do things on guidance from lots of different departments and agencies., not some :censored: notion of how things used to be - the 2004 revamp did what you propose - it didn't work.

Edited because I sank to someone else's level - apologies!

To deny that magazine production is a task where many departments have input is just silly. Of course it does.

So your argument (paraphrased):

they can't receive advice because if they did they would do it differently

becomes:

the fact they receive advice and then do it the way they do means the advice must suggest that course of action

if it makes you angry enough to come on here and bang keys about it, you need a different hobby! How about some praise for a title not lying down and fading away, for trying to do something different, even if you don't like it? Sales of comics have been falling for fifty years, mostly everything has been tried, to little avail. If the people who work on comics read any of this, they would soon think comic fans weren't worth caring about in any case, ditch the comic strips we love and do something like Jetix!

Not forgetting my friendly icon this time! :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Why are you quoting yourself? No need to repeat yourself mate! :tongue:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

wicked-stepladder wrote: This isn't a case of me "slagging off regardless". And if I was charging you almost three quid for you to see my work and you didn't believe it up to scratch, you would have every right to slag it off. Thank you.
Thing is, Dandy Xtreme isn't aimed at us. It's aimed at children. Our opinion of its layout or content isn't really relevant. I'm sure adults could have found fault with the comics of our childhood. We can look at any publication and think of ways of doing it differently, but that's the way they're doing it.

It was perhaps a mistake to imitate Toxic, as imitations rarely prosper, but that aside the last 12 months have seen Xtreme add more pages of new strips, (no reprints these days) and I think its design has actually improved since the early Xtreme issues.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Digifiend wrote:Why are you quoting yourself? No need to repeat yourself mate! :tongue:
I posted it half the way up the page, so I thought I'd drop it back into its proper slot again. Doh!

SID

Post by SID »

I see that DCT has dealt with the obscuring of the comic logo (by the free gifts) by printing the logo on the plastic wrapper.

I would love the old Dandy back but that isn't going to happen.

Barring the odd mistake, the purpose of a comic is to give its readers enjoyment.

The question I have is: Is it now selling better now as 'Xtreme' than it did before/after the 2004 revamp? If it is, then the objective has been achieved and the Dandy (albeit not really one we old folk recognise) lives to fight another day.

Good luck, Dandy

(and besides, we will got the annual to fall back on). :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Raven

Post by Raven »

SID wrote:

The question I have is: Is it now selling better now as 'Xtreme' than it did before/after the 2004 revamp? If it is, then the objective has been achieved and the Dandy (albeit not really one we old folk recognise) lives to fight another day.

No, sales went much lower, and I think the latest figures - reported on this forum about three months ago - showed that they've now gone down about another 30%.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
SID wrote:

No, sales went much lower, and I think the latest figures - reported on this forum about three months ago - showed that they've now gone down about another 30%.
Even so, there's no way of knowing if it would even still be here if it hadn't been revamped. As has been said numerous times here, The Dandy's sales were plummeting anyway. That's why it's been gradually evolving over the past ten years or more. The 2004 revamp as a more modern comic didn't stop the fall so the next revamp, into a comic-mag hybrid, was a practical solution. It's not ideal but what else could be done? We live in a country now where the vast majority of kids don't read comics, so how do you save a comic from oblivion?

Lew

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

SID wrote:(and besides, we will got the annual to fall back on). :)
If Dandy Xtreme folds, I'm not sure the Dandy Annual would survive much longer either, unfortunately. Unlike Beezer, which still had a lot of long running characters when it folded (Banana Bunch, Ginger, Little Mo, Numskulls, Colonel Blink, Baby Crockett) which were able to support the annual for another decade, the only long established characters Dandy has left are Desperate Dan, Bananaman, and Cuddles and Dimples.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
SID wrote:(and besides, we will got the annual to fall back on). :)
If Dandy Xtreme folds, I'm not sure the Dandy Annual would survive much longer either, unfortunately. Unlike Beezer, which still had a lot of long running characters when it folded (Banana Bunch, Ginger, Little Mo, Numskulls, Colonel Blink, Baby Crockett) which were able to support the annual for another decade, the only long established characters Dandy has left are Desperate Dan, Bananaman, and Cuddles and Dimples.
Comparing it to the Beezer Book is irrelevant because, as you say, that was in a different decade. The fates of comics and magazines are particular to the times they exist in, due to changes in retail setups / fees, and the tastes of each generation.

Why does this forum always fall back on doom and gloom about The Dandy? People here have been anticipating its demise for years now and the topic just goes around in circles and becomes repetitive. It's like a cloud of gloom hanging over the forum. Surely there are other UK comics to discuss instead of constantly returning to the pessimism about one title?

Lew

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I thought the last figures showed that the Dandy Xtreme's decline had slowed to less than the decline of either the Beano or Beano Max.

Ironically, the Belfast Telegraph has sales of 68,000, so this week's three replicas will be the best-selling Dandys this year.

Raven

Post by Raven »

AndyB wrote:I thought the last figures showed that the Dandy Xtreme's decline had slowed to less than the decline of either the Beano or Beano Max.

They were:

The Dandy Xtreme - 20,403
The Beano - 53,964
The BeanoMax - 42, 565

Previous Figures

Dandy Xtreme: 26,664
The Beano: 61,890
BeanoMAX:41,476

To quote yer-good-self from August: "That's a 30% fall in the Dandy, a small increase in Beano Max, which has now risen to double the Dandy sales again, and a 15% fall in the Beano."

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I suppose we'll have to wait until February for the next set of figures?

AndyB, looking at those figures, the three Beano replicas will also be this year's biggest selling - in both cases with the possible exception of the Guardian/Observer ones. How many copies do those papers sell?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

333k according to Wiki. Well pointed out ;)