Big Jamie Smart Desperate Dan bonus in Xmas Dandy Xtreme

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

NP

Big Jamie Smart Desperate Dan bonus in Xmas Dandy Xtreme

Post by NP »

I meant to post a 'heads up' about this earlier!
The new Christmas issue of Dandy Xtreme has a FAB mini-comic (not too mini, in reality) of some of Jamie Smart's best Desperate Dan stories, all in one place. So if you haven't been tempted before, this would be a good issue to catch up on.
(it's also got BananaMan, Cuddles and Dimples, etc!)

Digifiend

Re: Big Jamie Smart Desperate Dan bonus in Xmas Dandy Xtreme

Post by Digifiend »

Don't leave it until the last day - the cover says it was due out tomorrow, but it was in the shops already today, presumably because the next issue will be out early as well. I didn't know about the Dan mini-comic though (I just saw a yellow bag with a snowy Dandy Xtreme logo on it, didn't pay any attention to the free gifts. :oops: ) so I might just pick that up later in the week. Thanks for telling us Nigel. It's a shame the Dandy website doesn't keep us informed as well as the Beano's does.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I just bought a copy. Good issue! Great to see them keeping the Christmas comic tradition alive. (As does Toxic, the comic that sadly most Comics UK members seem to ignore in favour of Dandy and Beano. :wink: )

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

I got a copy last night and so much better than last year's Christmas issue.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just bought it. Every time I buy Xtreme (which isn't often) it seems to have improved. :D Nice touch including last Christmas's Dan in that mini-comic. I see Dan does an intro on page 2 like Dennis does in The Beano - that's a recent change, and a positive one, as it shows a return to a comic strip focus instead of this TV/film/gaming stuff which has taken prominence for most of the last two years. When Xtreme first launched, the only sighting of a comic strip character outside the Comix pullout was one page showing Ollie Fliptrik, plus the readers' pics page. Quite a different story now. :up:

:?: But why is Marvo the Wonder Chicken shown on the cover? He's not even got a story in this issue. Although the only comic strip in this issue not shown on the cover was Spooky Skaters, so it's good to see them advertising their comic content for once.

Don't say we're always negative when discussing The Dandy! :lol:

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

This sounds like a Dandy worth getting- but before I order my copy direct from DC Thomson (it's cheaper that way! In Australia anyway. At the moment. And quicker.) I've got a few questions...

- How many Comics pages are there, and what are they?
- How big (size AND page count) is the Dan Christmas mini-comic?
- What is on the cover?

...um and any other info you think would be interesting?

Thanks!
Ross

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Comics pages: I don't even need to count them, the cover says 16. Out of 36 pages total. The strips are Jak and Todd, Cuddles and Dimples (both 2 pages), Bananaman (3 pages), Spooky Skaters (1 page), Desperate Dan, The Bogies, Agent Dog2Zero (all 2 pages). That only adds up to 14, so the 2 page Crazy Christmas Puzzlers must've been counted as well.
Dan special: 32 pages, about two thirds of the size of the main comic.
Dandy Xtreme cover: montage, showing Avatar, Transformers, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel, Spongebob Squarepants, Buzz Lightyear, and Dandy characters Bananaman, Desperate Dan, Agent Dog2Zero, Jak and Todd, Cuddles and Dimples, The Bogies, and Marvo the Wonder Chicken.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Thanks for ths info- think I'll be getting it! Might not arrive till after Christmas but that doesn't really bother me. If you include the Dan special, that's a lot of comic strip in one purchase!

Just a couple of other questions- what is the issue number and date on the comic, and what is the price?

Thanks!

Ross

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Issue: No. 3486
issue dated: 05.12.09
on sale dates: 03-DEC-09-23-DEC-09
price: £2.99, Canada $7.75 Spain 5 Euros, New Zealand $9.90