Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Steve Henderson

Re: Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Post by Steve Henderson »

Just picked up my copy. I don't like it, it's not extreme enough for me... Nah just kidding It's a MASSIVE improvement from the quality of the paper as soon as you pick it up you know your in for a treat. Im sure the kids will love it. It's a real contender, it looks like the Beano has it's old rival back and the games on to win over the kiddies with two top quality productions! Strips like the new bananaman made me chuckle just for the drawing style and poses, very lively! Same goes for the energy in Harry Hill and the others it's got a great boisterous attitude, not quite how it did when bully beef and chips and the jocks and the Geordies were kicking lumps out of each other but i doubt that sort of thing would gel with today's kids they can get that from their computer games. I hope this brings on a renaissance in British comics, it should do it's a fabulous production huge congratulations to everyone who was involved, you have made me feel more optimistic about the future of British comics!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well Bully Beef had been revived during the Xtreme era (last year, drawn by Wayne Thompson) but it didn't last very long. So it appears the kids didn't like it.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Well there you go then! Have you managed to pick up a copy yet Digifiend? I must admit I had trouble finding my copy, there's still work to be done on the side of the shops sorting their shelves out! Ha ha same old story I suppose!

SID

Post by SID »

Steve Henderson wrote:Well there you go then! Have you managed to pick up a copy yet Digifiend? I must admit I had trouble finding my copy, there's still work to be done on the side of the shops sorting their shelves out! Ha ha same old story I suppose!
Not in my local Sainsbury's. Went and found not only was the Dandy presented proudly on its own stand at the front of the shop, but when you did look at the comic section on the shelves, more were available within a bordered box titled 'Recommended Read'.

Talk about promoting the comic. I was well impressed (enough to buy another copy to show my support). :)
Last edited by SID on 29 Oct 2010, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

It's great to see the new-look Dandy going down so well...although I'm biased, I think it's a really excellent read now, crammed full of COMICS, and so many good ones, at that! There's a heck of a lot of talented guys working away on it, and I'm honoured to see my daft little doodles among them!

I just got back from a kids' literary festival in Chester, doing a 'monster design' workshop for a hundred-plus kids...naturally, I was spreading the word about The Dandy, too! Some of the kids had copies, and I got to do my first ever signing, which was a bit weird for me! But they seem to love it, find it lots of fun! Hooray!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

What's pleased me is that there's been mainly a positive reaction from adults so far, here and on other forums. I must admit I was expecting the majority of people here not to like it but I'm very happy that expectation was wrong!

I hope the kids like it as well! :)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

kevf

Post by kevf »

Having treated the kids to The Dandy in my Comic Art Masterclass in Gosport on Wednesday, I wanted to do the same yesterday in Stevenage. But I didn't have a copy with me so hoped to buy one there or en route.

There were no copies of The Dandy to be seen in the service stations I stopped at in Clevedon, on the M5, or in Rickmansworth, nor in either of the shops I tried in Stevenage, nor in the service station on the M4 or, worst of all, in Tescos back home in Clevedon. There is possibility the Tesco could have sold out, as it has every other comic on show, in which case brilliant, but if not that's not good.

I'm assuming every one else has been able to find it. Today I travel from Clevedon (which is near Bristol) to Barton on Humber in Lincolnshire (Comic Art Masterclass and comedy show by Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre tonight, and another class tomorrow you'll be delighted to hear) so if I can report on Dandy availability en route I'll do my best.

Hope I can get one for today's class, don't want them to miss out.

Kev F

PS: Did I mention I start appearing in this week's Dr Who Adventures? Check out my Find It diorama, and see if you can spot my name hidden in the background of the artwork, just like in my Beano strips.

PPS: If The Dandy would like to give me any unsold copies I can take to my classes, I can promise they will be devoured and digested by my pupils. (Of course, if you're happy for them to just become bigger & bigger Dr Who comic strip fans...)
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit that the art is not to my taste, but there are still some diamonds in the scripts, but then again, I am not exactly "core audience" anymore! :cry:

My personal favourite was George and Dragon, but I did like the Harry Hill script as it harks back to the feel of the Krazy Gang in Cheeky. The funniest thing was listening to my 16 year old moaning that the likeness of Simon Cowell wasn't good enough!

The votes are still out from the 8 year old. Let's see what she thinks tonight and if it is her choice next week.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Steve Henderson wrote:Well there you go then! Have you managed to pick up a copy yet Digifiend? I must admit I had trouble finding my copy, there's still work to be done on the side of the shops sorting their shelves out! Ha ha same old story I suppose!
Did you not see the post where I complained about Martin McColls trying to overcharge me for it? I found out from Twitter that I wasn't the only one. McColls have screwed up big time by not updating the price in their database. Funnily enough, the Beano I picked up at the same time was the last one (did they only put out one copy or what?) but they had about 8 Dandys. Have seen plenty of Dandys in NewsPlus (Londis-owned newsagent) as well. Haven't checked WHSmith or the supermarkets yet. WHS wasn't stocking Xtreme recently by the looks of it, so it'll be interesting to see how many new Dandys they have.

In other news, what the heck's going on at the website?
dandy.com wrote:Server Error

401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.
:( :?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Congratulations on getting in Doctor Who Adventures Kev!

Distribution of The Dandy around my area is far, far better than the Xtreme days but still patchy. Of my three nearby newsagents only one had it (4 copies). As I understand it from what newsagents have told me in the past distributors do this deliberately to spread out copies into areas more likely to sell them.

Of course the major flaw in that logic is how do they know what the reaction will be to a new comic? (And for all intents and purposes, the revamped Dandy is a new comic in effect as it's trying to bring in a new generation of readers.)

That said, they probably got it right around here as apart from the two copies I bought there's been no movement on the two remaining copies yet.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

NP

Post by NP »

colcool007 wrote:The votes are still out from the 8 year old. Let's see what she thinks tonight and if it is her choice next week.
Your indoctrination of the next generation is highly commendable!

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Kev, I bought mine from my local Tesco Express, even though it has a tiny selection of comics AND never used to stock Dandy Extreme. So it might be more likely that your local branch had sold out.

I'm curious to check availability in my local WH Smiths/corner shop - will do so today. Also, they had loads of copies in my local Morrisions on Wednesday - but right up on the top shelf, out of reach of kids. D'oh. Still, at least the cover is striking enough for a kid to notice Harry Hill and ask their parent to get it for them.

I'll be very interested to know how the sales figures change after the relaunch when we get the next set of ABCs in.

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote:Well, some people here have compared it to Oink, which was also a Fleetway title and not DCT.
And still others have compared it to WHAM! (Odhams) and even Film Fun (Fleetway again). But what has impressed me is that Oink is from the 80s, Krazy the 70s, WHAM! (take a guess) the 60s and Film Fun the 30s-50s. So the new Dandy seems to be in a long tradition as well as ultra modern and contemporary. I know the feel I was aiming for in the first Harry Hill page was a mixture of Krazy and WHAM! with a little bit of Hancock in Fim Fun circa 1959, so spot on with those observations, everyone!
I am very pleased we all managed to pull off this 'impossible' feat! Now for issue two!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

NP wrote:Now for issue two!
*pedantic mode*

Now for issue 3509! :wink:

Raven

Post by Raven »

NP wrote:[I know the feel I was aiming for in the first Harry Hill page was a mixture of Krazy and WHAM! with a little bit of Hancock in Fim Fun circa 1959 ...

To me, the Harry Hill strip keeps bringing to mind echoes of Terror TV from Monster Fun/Buster!