Retro Dandy Annual 2012?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Retro Dandy Annual 2012?

Post by SID »

I was surprised when I saw the front cover of the new Dandy Annual 2012 for the first time this week.

Since the Dandy reinvented itself as a proper comic again last year, I had expected this to filter down into this year's annual. Instead, it looks like it has gone even more retro with the re-introduction of its 70s logo and with no Harry Hill in sight (not on the cover at least).

Of course, I haven't gotten the annual yet and so have no idea of what's inside but it does seem that it is being aimed at the 'old guard' rather than the currently readership.

Is that DCT's intent or it is simply that it will take a little longer for the new look to take affect? Or is it I am just simply confused? :?

Note: I personally like the looks of it and the logo was always my favourite since it was what the comic used when I read it as a wee lad. But if I was that child now, I would rather see the new style (both in logo and characters).
Attachments
DANDYANNUAL2012.jpg
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Re: Retro Dandy Annual 2012?

Post by Digifiend »

It was prepared too far in advance, so only a couple of the new strips made it in there (should be more next year). The rest are old favourites drawn by new talent. Harry Hill and The Bogies are both barred from appearing for licensing reasons.

blaing

Post by blaing »

The only new strips from the latest incarnation are two episodes of George Vs. Dragon and an episode of Kid Cops, it's a mix of old favourites (drawn by today's artists) and the latest strips.

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

The Dandy annual 2012 is the 75th anniversary edition.
So it's meant to be a mix of old and new. A kind of history of the Dandy thing.
Hence the old logo thing.

That logo was around longer than the new one.

They mixed things up a bit more too by asking some of the new artist to draw old "classic" characters.

Hence the different artist for Dan and Korky.

SID

Post by SID »

Now that make sense. Thanks, guys. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Full page ad in this week's issue.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I had a flick of this in the shop and it even contains a new story about Corporal Clott! The sergeant is surprised that he's managed to hit a target, and he explains "it's easier to poke the holes in the target first and then put it all the way over there!"