Opinions sought: Dandy subscription problems

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

desne

Opinions sought: Dandy subscription problems

Post by desne »

Hi all, I just wondered what other people's experiences of subscribing to The Dandy have been? We've taken out two subs, one late in 2010 and then again last autumn, but on both occasions the arrival day varied wildly from the Saturday before it goes into the shops (which is when The Beano also almost always arrives) right up to the Wednesday after it goes into the shops (ie the day the next one is out!). I've been dealing with a manager from DC Thomson to try to ascertain why this is happening but after blaming Royal Mail, TNT Post, the snow (!) and the fact that I have a shared front door and letterbox, I think he's now as perplexed as we are. He put a track on our copies and for a month or so they arrived on time (which he says should be either the Saturday or Monday before publication), but the first issue after the two-week break, which we were expecting last weekend, has never turned up again. Has anyone else had this problem or anything similar? It'd be really interesting and useful to know so that both we and DC Thomson themselves can ascertain whether this is a problem specific to our sub, or whether it's across the board. Please do let me know if so… Thanks. Mark

Peter Gray

Re: Opinions sought: Dandy subscription problems

Post by Peter Gray »

The Dandy often arrives later than The Beano..
mind you got mine today..
The beano on Sat..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've been a subscriber for 14 issues now. The first few were late, arriving a day or two after it was on sale in shops, but more recently it's arrived a day or two before the shop copies.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

desne

Post by desne »

Thanks, Peter and Lew – it's helpful to know that. I don't really mind it being a day or two late but a week is ridiculous and totally inexplicable when The Beano arrives week after week on the Saturday before publication, regular as clockwork. As I said, we're all baffled. It's the apparent randomness of the delivery day that frustrates me – and the fact that all promotional material for the subscriptions says that the issues will arrive before they hit the shops, which they now hardly ever do. Ah well, we'll see what they find out now they're tracking the issues en route. If anyone else has any ideas, please do let us know! M

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I agree - that has been my exact experience, Desne. TNT has been absolutely woeful, and I've complained more than once. Royal Mail may be dearer, but if they collect magazines on a Wednesday, sure as heck they'll be through everyone's door by Saturday at the latest.

Interestingly, I noticed today when I received my Dandy that they are tracking both my Beano and Dandy subscriptions. I wonder what that will show up.

desne

Post by desne »

It's interesting that you say that Andy as DCT's original line was to blame TNT but they backtracked a bit when they realised The Beano was arriving on time and it was only affecting The Dandy. Whether this is true or not I don't know but they did tell me at one point that some postmen had been found to be taking the comics home, reading them and then rebagging and delivering them later! I certainly can't imagine our postman doing that but I guess it could be true of one or two. That I think is the reasoning behind the tracking – so that anyone who sees the outside of the packaging in transit is aware it's being logged. But it hasn't worked for us with The Dandy, this week anyway…

blaing

Post by blaing »

I had problems with the Dandy when I had my subscription.

I always got the Beano every week without problems, but the Dandy on the other hand, would vary from coming out the same week, or I would get no issue for two weeks, then get two issues in the same week.

I chronicled the problems I had on my blog here.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

There are two possibilities I can think of:
1. TNT collect both on the same day, do Beano Max first, then the Beano, and by the time they do the Dandy, it's a day or more later.
2. DCT are late getting the Dandy ready.

I don't actually believe the second possibility. If I understand correctly, they roll off the presses well in advance of the Wednesday, in time for them to have cover mounts added and be bagged if necessary, as well as sorted and got ready for collection.

I suppose a third possibility is that Royal Mail are being difficult because they are still forced to undercharge for the final delivery to the doors, and therefore don't rush them.

I suppose that in turn the reason for the Government refusing to let them charge what it actually costs to deliver to our doors is that passing it on properly would put TNT et al out of business where mailshots are concerned - never mind that it would cost us less for our first and second class stamps as we wouldn't be subsidising it.

SID

Post by SID »

At the beginning, I had some hiccups in delivery times for the Dandy where sometimes it seemed I got it almost week after the shops did. However, I always did get my copy in the end.

However, it seems to have settled down where I either get it on the Saturday or the following Monday.
Last edited by SID on 03 Mar 2012, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

desne

Post by desne »

Hi all, thanks so much for all your replies – it's been really helpful. At least I know it's not just us who have had this problem! I think the powers that be at DCT have had a look at this thread too so hopefully they might be able to discover why the delivery is so erratic. It's fine with The Beano, so why it should vary so much with The Dandy is a complete mystery! :?

desne

Post by desne »

Well, this week's worse than ever – Thursday's post has arrived and still no sign of this week's issue. I hate to go on about it but it's driving us all potty! We'll have to go and buy it again as only one local shop stocks it and if they run out while we're waiting for our sub to arrive, we'll never get hold of it at all. DC Thomson seem to think that only we are having this problem, even though they've read the responses on this page… so if anyone has any further comments, please do post! Still no problems with The Beano, which arrives like clockwork on a Saturday. I just can't understand what's holding The Dandy up… it's all beyond me. :shock:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sounds like in this case, placing an order with the newsagent would be better than keeping that unreliable subscription.

desne

Post by desne »

I'm starting to think you're right, Digifiend, but DC Thomson are trying to sort it out – not that they seem to have any more idea than we do why it's happening. As others on the forum have acknowledged similar problems, however, it looks as though it's not actually our sub but a general delivery glitch. I suppose we shall see…

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

My copy only arrived today unfortunately, several days after it was posted.

Subscriptions are still a great way to save the reader some money, but the other incentive, that readers receive copies before the shops, is badly being let down by the postal service.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:My copy only arrived today unfortunately, several days after it was posted.

Subscriptions are still a great way to save the reader some money, but the other incentive, that readers receive copies before the shops, is badly being let down by the postal service.

lew That sounds like something you cou incorporate into a future story line you could put in postman prat if you ever do more,just as a ever so slight dig at the subs dept or post office :lol: