Digital Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Digital Dandy

Post by AndyB »

I don't want to spoil surprises, so this is a little of what we have and I'm willing to disclose this side of Tuesday:

1. Bananaman will not be the only character to appear in both the Beano and the Dandy
2. Mister X, the original British superhero, is back
3. Mini-strips will continue

Subscriptions are £1.49 per week, £3.99 per month, £19.99 for six months, and £29.99 a year. I received a separate letter today saying that current subscriptions will be converted to digital if your e-mail address is held on DCT subscription records.

Digifiend

Re: Digital Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

Wow, I'm surprised Bananaman will remain. They actually market him as a Beano character nowadays. No other former Dandy stars are in the Beano, so knowing he won't be the only one in both comics only throws up more questions. Mr X's return explains the reprint that Down The Tubes reported about the other day. I'd thought it odd that such an old and, frankly, obscure character got such treatment, now we know why.

Thanks for answering my price question. £1.49 eh? Good to know. I figured the price would go down from the print version's £1.99 since there's no longer any printing and distribution costs. And those are good deals too. The year deal works out 57p a week (30 / 52 = 0.57), cheaper than the current iTunes individual back issue price of 69p. Nobody can say that they can't afford it!

blaing

Post by blaing »

I'll certainly subscribe for a full year for the Digital Dandy, as it will also be available to PC users. : :D

SID

Post by SID »

Since my subscription will automatically transfers
over to the Digital comic, I will see what the first issue is like. :)
Last edited by SID on 04 Dec 2012, 01:28, edited 2 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Advert was posted on Facebook.

I see the current logo is used there as a placeholder.

SID

Post by SID »

Just under two and a half days to go to find out what this new digital incarnation is going to be like. I wonder if it will retain the issue numbering (will there even be issuing numbering??)? :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The new editor has the same first name as the old one! Craig Ferguson, apparently. Not a name I'm familiar with.
http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2012/ ... o-go-live/

EDIT: Well, Mr X is an open secret now. Turns out a Twitter page has been live since at least 16 November. Only one post on it so far, which appears to be a sound test. It's the background that's really of interest.
Reported here: http://www.wackycomics.com/2012/12/is-a ... rning.html

https://twitter.com/project3ddct

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Craig was a long-time sub-editor on the Beano. I believe he wrote every single Fatty Fudge strip for Jim Petrie.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Wasn't he Bing Hitler? :offtopic1: :coat:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Huh? I don't get it. I thought maybe you were joking about his namesake, but I see no such thing on his CV.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:Huh? I don't get it. I thought maybe you were joking about his namesake, but I see no such thing on his CV.
Erm. From the very page you linked to:
The character, "Bing Hitler" (actually coined by Capaldi as Ferguson started with the monogram of "Nico Fulton" but admittedly later stole the name for his "own nefarious ends"), premiered in Glasgow, and subsequently became a hit at the 1986 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. A recording of his stage act as Bing Hitler was made at Glasgow's Tron Theatre and released in the 1980s a Bing Hitler monologue ("A Lecture for Burns Night") appears on the compilation cassette Honey at the Core.
While we're off topic on THAT Craig Ferguson, his current US talk show is FANTASTIC - saw a few episodes when I was over in NY for my honeymoon. Wish it was shown here.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Almost there! Countdown timer says 000 Days 22 Hours 13 Minutes 15 Seconds

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Are we allowed to mention Numskulls.. Keyhole Kate..yet... :lol:

With the digital Dandy I might fancy printing off some pages and making up my own comic to read in my hands...great news for Jamie..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Peter Gray wrote:Are we allowed to mention Numskulls.. Keyhole Kate..yet... :lol:

With the digital Dandy I might fancy printing off some pages and making up my own comic to read in my hands...great news for Jamie..
I didnt think about printing the pages off.i wish i could afford an ipad or laptop now cos at the moment i only access this site through my samsung phone lol

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like someone goofed when testing the new site a couple of hours ago (generic error message).
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
It's reverted back to the countdown clock now. Eight hours to go!