just Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: just Dandy

Post by felneymike »

I've always thought the BBC ought to sell subscriptions to iplayer for people living abroad. They love Doctor Who and Top Gear abroad (or at least until Jeremy gets around to insulting their country), so it'd bring in some more money. And also people wouldn't have to put up with truncated episodes with advert room. Apparently several major plot points were removed from Life on Mars in other countries

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It already exists. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14322604 No help to Bruce though.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

dishes wrote:My biggest criticism would have been that that Tom Paterson/Dangerous Dumplings bit might have been a bit confusing to anyone who hadn't already read about it in the Art and History book. But I understand it would have taken too long to explain more thoroughly, and it was worth covering for the chance to see Tom talking.
One thing that bugs me is that The Dangerous Dumplings is mentioned a lot in the Just Dandy documentary and the Art & History book yet neither mentioned that The Dangerous Dumplings finally made their Dandy debut in 2002 under a new name of 'The Doyle Family' by Ken Harrison. Does no-one remember this?
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

Last call to see this interesting documentary!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i watched this yesterday & thought it was very good,someone should commission a whole series on the history of british comics & talk in depth about 1 long running title a week like buster wham,roy of the rovers etc & then all the short lived titles like school fun,wow,hoot could fill a show as well with interviews with artists writers etc & they could show unpublished artwork etc.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There was a three part series a few years ago - Comics Britannia.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

yes i saw comics britannia i prob still a copy on dvd somewhere.

stevenhartley123

Post by stevenhartley123 »

I remember Comics Britannia--at least the first part which was supposedly about 'The Beano' and 'The Dandy'. Although, to me it didn't feel like a whole documentary of through the years. It felt more like a nostalgic documentary for readers that grew up with the comics in the 50s and 60s..also, there was hardly much topics about 'The Dandy' and more about 'The Beano'..not that its a bad thing, but I just felt the pacing could've been better. Nevertheless, some very interesting moments.

BTW; anyone else know where I could watch 'Just Dandy' -- its expired from iPlayer. :(
Love the 80s and 90s Dandy and Beanos...