Captain Whoosh and Smart Alec Bone

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

suebutcher

Captain Whoosh and Smart Alec Bone

Post by suebutcher »

OK, here's another Dandy Annual question: is it the 1968 or 1969 Annual which has the Captain Whoosh story where a giant stone statue of lion squashes a double-decker bus?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Captain Whoosh and Smart Alec Bone

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Off the top of my head, it's the 1969 annual [with Korky on the cover with himself and the mice about to tuck into Christmas puds, against a pale blue background].

Fantastic, unforgettable, cinema-styled double spreader with the statue smashing through a museum. I think theres even a 'Read the DANDY' advert on a double-decker bus---delicious, delightful detail.

Artwork of course by Charlie Grigg---as if you ever doubted that!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Spot on Rab (apart from the Dandy advert) - 1969 it is!

...Great stuff! :)

- Phil R.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for the assistance, Phil! I think the 'DANDY' ad may be on a previous-page frame----still a great image even all this time later.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The Dandy annual and Beano annual should do more two pagers...even if its humour...rather than adventure stories...such an opportunity!!

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Thanks all! A fantastic spread. I'll have to track that Annual down. I remember the story ending with a jolly slap-up feed with the Mayor, but I couldn't help worrying about what had happened to all those people in the bus! Whoosh himself looks like he's modelled on James Arness.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Yes. Never mind the 'Death Bus Crash Horror' - in Dandyland even the worst tragedies could be instantly ameliorated by the prospect of a slap-up feed! :)

Incidentally Sue, I've just noticed that the same Dandy Annual also features the original version of your story about Desperate Dan and his explosive handclap:

As memorable as both those strips are, however, I have to say that my own favourite sequence from that annual is Paddy Brennan's fantastic double-page spread in 'The Island of Monsters', where two boys are shown running for their lives from an army of giant wasps and ants!

- Phil Rushton

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Thanks, Phil! The 1970 Annual "Island Of Monsters" featured giant stag beetles and bees. I still have this one.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The 1969 DANDY annual is highly reccomended for any self-respecting comics buff.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just got it, thanks to my Mum. £2, just over half the price of what Phil apparently paid.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Actually I think I knocked the dealer down to half price! :)

That was a few years ago though. £2 is definitely a bargain nowadays.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, your scan says £3.75 on it so I assumed that was what you paid. So if you managed to haggle it down, fair play.