Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:
big bad bri wrote:wonder why they have put phil-comics in the description though,surely that's not allowed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-2-Dandy-Co ... Sw1BlZPY9g
I thought that was a bit cheeky, I sent him a message asking why he had Phil-comics in his title - 'Is it the name of one of the comic characters in the Dandy?' I asked, got no reply !!
I've asked him "Is this a copy of the original made by Phil-comics as the listing isn't clear but you mention their name?"

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:someone should let phil shrimpton know if he isn't a member of this forum and has not seen this post.
I've told him
you beat me to it as i was about to message him :lol: but when it was going for silly money last month i thought it was phil doing it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Wasn't the seller just saying that to give the comic's provenance - like saying an American comic book comes from a well-known source like the 'Mile High' collection. Last weekend, for example, I bought some titles from a dealer who said he'd acquired them from Paul Gambaccini when he was forced to liquidate his collection in order to pay his legal costs.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Wasn't the seller just saying that to give the comic's provenance - like saying an American comic book comes from a well-known source like the 'Mile High' collection. Last weekend, for example, I bought some titles from a dealer who said he'd acquired them from Paul Gambaccini when he was forced to liquidate his collection in order to pay his legal costs.
You look to have hit the proverbial nail very cleanly there Phil. I've just checked and Phil Shrimpton did indeed sell that exact comic in June 2011 for £817 apparently to this same guy.

Update: Phil says he also sold him the frog two years earlier for £346

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I corresponded with him and it’s clear that he has no shame in using Phil’s name to prosper from. He doesn’t need to though. He’s got a highly desirable comic and gift that will sell for plenty anyway.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

well hes gonna make a huge profit as its sitting at 6 grand with 2 days to go.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:well hes gonna make a huge profit as its sitting at 6 grand with 2 days to go.
That's insane. The comic looks ready to crumble to dust. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:well hes gonna make a huge profit as its sitting at 6 grand with 2 days to go.
That's insane. The comic looks ready to crumble to dust. :lol:
I've got to agree, thst is an insane price already

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction in terms in the description when it says Real Investment Item and Never To Be Seen Again For Sale. At least the frog looks ready to defend its comic and defy all boarders, all the more praiseworthy as one of its front legs will have been cooked and eaten in a Parisian restaurant. And the current price?!! Just imagine how many rough sleepers could benefit from a share of that. As I said a week or two back, some people have too much money.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd rather spend the money on 6000 70s £1.00 Fleetway comics and enjoy all the Baxendale, Reid, Parlett funnies.

I can imagine Dandy 2 coming through the letterbox and the pet dog ripping it to shreds.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I've got to agree on this, its not so much what it is (yup an extremely rare, collectable item) its the really awful condition, both comic and frog!

I did also notice that someone has also listed literally the worst condition copy of TV 21 #1 I've ever seen for £300 and states that they have the free gift, can't actually find it at the moment but will send it with the comic when they find it...

The mind boggles.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

3 bidders on the Dandy #2 have bid above £620.
1 of them isn't bidding on anything else and this is the only item they are apparently interested in.
The other two are bidding on other items, but loaded under video games (both of them). This is the only book/comic that either of them are interested in.

Bidding on so many items on Ebay over the years makes me wary of bidding patterns like that. It could be innocent but I'm not convinced.

Then again I wouldn't dream of paying £6k for a comic and gift in that state! That's more than I've spent in total on purchasing the entire collection of Commando......over 5000 issues!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:I've got to agree on this, its not so much what it is (yup an extremely rare, collectable item) its the really awful condition, both comic and frog!

I did also notice that someone has also listed literally the worst condition copy of TV 21 #1 I've ever seen for £300 and states that they have the free gift, can't actually find it at the moment but will send it with the comic when they find it...

The mind boggles.

That TV Century 21 #1 is worth a link as you're right that it's the worst condition I've ever seen either!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-CENTURY-21 ... SwKPdZ30K5

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i wouldn't dare sell that tv 21 on ebay it would have went straight in the bin.and the description says will be selling the free gift separate when found.

dishes

Post by dishes »

There was a time I would have given down payment with my soul for an early Dandy or Beano purely to find out WHAT THEY WERE LIKE but facsimile editions and the examples reprinted in the big "History of..." books have demystified them for me.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk