What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
starscape wrote:Currently in Nairn where a charity shop has loads of 4000ish Commandos at 25p each.
I still need 13 in the 4000s but Nairn is a bit far for me sadly!
Not very close for me either! However, I am down to 44 in the 4000s. And considering at the start of the year I had almost none, I think I have worked out where a good chunk of this year's collecting has been! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:Thanks for that information, Adam. I've only just seen your comment as I've been busy most of the day. I'll ring them tomorrow morning bang on 10.30 when they open.
Success! I bought issue 1 this morning. Thanks again, Adam.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Buster holiday specials 1970 & 1978 arrived.along with latest 2000ad and Phoenix no Beano though :(

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Thanks for that information, Adam. I've only just seen your comment as I've been busy most of the day. I'll ring them tomorrow morning bang on 10.30 when they open.
Success! I bought issue 1 this morning. Thanks again, Adam.
More than welcome, glad to help.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Latest purchase today: The Beezer Summer Special 1999.

I should have this by the end of November.

(Update: 26/10/2017). Also bought today, Beano No. 3898
Last edited by blaing on 25 Oct 2017, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Another pre-decimal Commando is off the list as are a random smattering of picture libraries.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

It's been an up and down week for me. On Wednesday I found an Xmas 1937 Funny Wonder in quite good shape, not something I needed but nice to have. Then on Friday Whizzer and Chips No.2 arrived, a comic I've been after for ages, and it fell apart in my hands! Very disappointing. Not only is the paper really poor quality, there's colouring errors all over the cover. It'll take a lot of archive tape to make it readable again. Still, Denis Gifford's art makes the effort worth while.

abacus

Post by abacus »

suebutcher wrote:It's been an up and down week for me. On Wednesday I found an Xmas 1937 Funny Wonder in quite good shape, not something I needed but nice to have. Then on Friday Whizzer and Chips No.2 arrived, a comic I've been after for ages, and it fell apart in my hands! Very disappointing. Not only is the paper really poor quality, there's colouring errors all over the cover. It'll take a lot of archive tape to make it readable again. Still, Denis Gifford's art makes the effort worth while.
Sorry to hear that. I always think you forum folks get pristine copies so now I won't feel so bad when comics I receive fall short of perfection :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

abacus wrote:
suebutcher wrote:It's been an up and down week for me. On Wednesday I found an Xmas 1937 Funny Wonder in quite good shape, not something I needed but nice to have. Then on Friday Whizzer and Chips No.2 arrived, a comic I've been after for ages, and it fell apart in my hands! Very disappointing. Not only is the paper really poor quality, there's colouring errors all over the cover. It'll take a lot of archive tape to make it readable again. Still, Denis Gifford's art makes the effort worth while.
Sorry to hear that. I always think you forum folks get pristine copies so now I won't feel so bad when comics I receive fall short of perfection :)
I have got to be honest and say that very few of my issues are pristine. I collect comics to read them not as an investment.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Ditto. I want comics that can be read without disintegrating, I don't care much what they look like sealed up in a plastic bag.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

suebutcher wrote:Ditto. I want comics that can be read without disintegrating, I don't care much what they look like sealed up in a plastic bag.
Exactly. It's not a case of investment. It's just nice to have comics that have been looked after, and it is possible to read and enjoy comics comfortably without damaging them. Sorry to hear you received a poor condition comic. A comic from 1969 shouldn't fall apart unless it's been kept in a shed or handled roughly.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

abacus wrote:
For the most part I don't worry too much about condition. The three major exceptions are brittle paper (where the comic in question literally disintegrates in your hands), missing pages or coupons, etc., and 'questionable stains' :shock: .

Incidentally, I'm surprised to hear that you're a particular fan of Denis Gifford's art Sue. While I love the guy's books I must admit that I've always rather dismissed his actual artwork, seeing him as something of a poor relation to people like Reg Parlett.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And another swap has paid off with a collector in Surrey getting 4 of my issues and he has just sent through 4 from the 300s to fill in 4 of my gaps.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Finally 2000ad 1893 why was this so hard to get to make complete run from 197 to present.Roy of the rovers summer special 81 ,beano xmas special and Another 34 Buster from the 60s so 350 to go.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to the ephemera fair yesterday which was combined with a paperback/pulp/comic fair. Picked up the following:

Wham! nos. 3, 89, 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 129, 136, 141, 155.

Smash! 4, 5, 8, 10, 30, 57

Story Time no. 3

Dickory Dock no. 1 - two copies both with free gift glove puppet.

Dandy Summer Special 1968

UK Mad nos. 13 and 24

Dixie Dugan no. 1 UK edition from 1950

War and Attack no. 1 from 1964. Charlton comic with all four stories drawn and inked by Wally Wood

Playbox n0. 775 dated 23 December 1939 Christmas issue.

Marvel Treasury Edition 15 Conan the Barbarian.

£122 the lot. Very happy. Wham! 108 had no middle pages but I was given an £18 discount so can't complain.