British comics in Egyptian magazine Samir

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

delboj

British comics in Egyptian magazine Samir

Post by delboj »

Hi for everyone,

I am searching for some informations and need a help to identify some of these comics in Arabic. I am not sure that all of them are British, but I hope that someone will know their original names if some of them are American.

In Samir I found comics like "Vicky", "Sue Carter", "Robbie of Red Hall", "Sally of the Seven Seas", "The Untold Arabian Nights", "Lettice Leefe", and "The Rolling Stones".

Does anyone have any idea about these comics - British or not? I can't read Arabic and it's not easy to get informations about these comics.

This is an comic adaptation of "Two Years Holiday", novel by Jules Verne. Arabic title is something like "The Lost Ship".

Arabic title could be something like "The House of Surprise"

This one is in similar style:

The title is hula-hoop.

Identified. That is "Julius Cheeser" by George Martin. Thanks to philcom55.

Identified as "Nubbin", American comic strip.

For this one I don't know almost anything, but comic strip isn't Egyptian.

This one could be an Egyptian comic strip, but I can't be sure.

This comic strip also could be British:

It seems that this dog was called Bobby:

Arabic title is Kingdom of the Sea.

This one also looks British, something about Trojan Horse:

ImageImage

Identified as Classics Illustrated #149 - Off on a Comet.

This one also could be British, but I am not sure.

It's confirmed that Koko was an Egyptian comic strip.

I am not sure does it gag comic strip Egyptian or foreign:

I think that these 3 are ads from magazine Girl and I am not sure should be considered as comics at all?

ImageImageImage
Last edited by delboj on 10 Jul 2018, 12:28, edited 23 times in total.

comixminx

Re: British comics in Egyptian magazine Samir

Post by comixminx »

Hi there,

I don't recognize any of these as either British or American. I wonder if they might have been drawn locally, for the Egyptian market?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

delboj

Post by delboj »

comixminx wrote:Hi there,

I don't recognize any of these as either British or American. I wonder if they might have been drawn locally, for the Egyptian market?
Egyptian comics usually were drawn in completely different style, almost always included characters in Arabic clothes. So, I don't think these were Egyptian creations, but I can't be completely sure and if I find informations about any of them these are Egyptian, I will write here.

However, the first one for me looks as British, but for others I am not sure. These comics were printed ca 1960 or a few years earlier.

And in Samir magazin all of these comics were reversed, re-colored and probably partially traced, so it's not easy always recognise them even though you have English version for comparation.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

The majority of those examples look European to me.

delboj

Post by delboj »

Robbie Moubert wrote:The majority of those examples look European to me.
I agree, but it's problem how to find their original names.

For example, for this one I am sure this is American, but I still can't find it in English (however, style is different than in European comics):

Last edited by delboj on 10 Jul 2018, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The cat/tiger and mouse is almost certainly Julius Cheeser from Topper, drawn by George Martin. One or two others seem to ring a bell as well but I can't say for sure.

delboj

Post by delboj »

philcom55 wrote:The cat/tiger and mouse is almost certainly Julius Cheeser from Topper, drawn by George Martin. One or two others seem to ring a bell as well but I can't say for sure.
Thank you. That's prove that I was right about that one.

delboj

Post by delboj »

I've talked with an Egyptian person and he gave to me some additional informations, so I've updated the first post.