What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I was told that 30th century comics have some Double Double comics in stock some priced at £50 a copy. I've always had a soft spot for them and wonder why they go for such high prices? Do same numbered issues have different contents?
£50!? They sell for an average of about £15 on Ebay. Every one is different as they just bound up 4 US comics in a cover so you could have 3 Batman #1s and the contents of each one would be completely different. The cover had no relation to the contents other than the character.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have had a few over the years and sold them on eBay and remember being pleased with the selling price. I hardly ever see them on my travels. At the end of the day they are coverless comics bound together so it's odd they would appeal.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I have had a few over the years and sold them on eBay and remember being pleased with the selling price. I hardly ever see them on my travels. At the end of the day they are coverless comics bound together so it's odd they would appeal.
I've got half a dozen but if someone was happy to give me £50 each, they'd be gone in a shot!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Most at 30th Century are much lower. One is £60 I think and another £50 but the rest are £10ish.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

The Lion and Valiant Summer Extra 1969. It's the last one of the three I need and yet again, I was outbid on Ebay :cry:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote:The Lion and Valiant Summer Extra 1969. It's the last one of the three I need and yet again, I was outbid on Ebay :cry:
And for once it wasn't me! That seems to be a very difficult one to get.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:The Lion and Valiant Summer Extra 1969. It's the last one of the three I need and yet again, I was outbid on Ebay :cry:
And for once it wasn't me! That seems to be a very difficult one to get.
Funny you say that as I looked at the buyer as I thought it may have been you! :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I was watching it, but my didn't register as it went too high. Looks like a decent buy for someone who really wants it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Buying my papers in Tesco just now I noticed the Irish Independent advertised a free Classics From The Comics section inside the Review. I had a good look but it wasn't present. Perhaps Ireland only?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Richmond today and a charity shop had All Star Squadron Showcase vol. 1. But it was £9.99 which is what I'd expect to pay for a brand new copy and as this was obviously second hand I passed on it.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I have been waiting for the complete 1990 run of Topper. It was available, but when I checked, it was gone. :(

Maybe next time. :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Those comic reprints are still going in the Irish Independent and it was inside yesterday's paper. It's an eight page tabloid reprint of pages from Classics From The Comics. I didn't figure it was worth the £1.60 outlay for an Irish newspaper that would be of little interest to me.

SID

Post by SID »

Three years of Victor - 1988, 1989 & 1990.

Was tempted to get as I regularly got the comic a few years earlier and, of course, the last of DCT's adventure weeklies. But at a combined price of £150, I just couldn't justify.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Kempton Park antiques fair yesterday. One dealer had a large pile of original cartoons and cartoon roughs, many by Chic who I later found out shared my Birthday. He wanted £300 the lot which was fair. Problem was the racecourse has only one cashpoint which was out of order so I couldn't come up with the conkers. There is another fair on 13 November and he said he'd bring them then, weather permitting.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:Three years of Victor - 1988, 1989 & 1990. Was tempted to get as I regularly got the comic a few years earlier and, of course, the last of DCT's adventure weeklies. But at a combined price of £150, I just couldn't justify.
And yet at roughly £1 per issue, SID, the price couldn't have been much more attractive. I have most if not all of those issues, but if I hadn't got them and didn't have enough readies, I would have gone straight to my bank for a short-term loan. If they had turned my application down, I would have got over my disappointment in due course.