Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:
babington wrote:Yes the collection of gifts is overpriced - £300-400 seems right. Beano No. 1 is cheap - it's Britain's "Action Comics #1" and this is the best copy. It could easily go stratospheric in years to come. Now if only I had £25K...
i think there will be last min sniping and go for a lot more than 25k
Interesting thought as I was thinking that there's a good chance of no bids at that level. If it had started at £19,999 I think there would have been quite a bit of interest.
I can't see there being more than one bid, and it won't be mine I'm afraid unless I put my house on ebay as a buy it now.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

This was my thought exactly, hence me saying the start price was too high.

Not to say it wouldn't sell at £25k but you're asking the first bidder to pay a world record price for a British comic immediately.

Now it's not Phil's comic and I assume he's gone on what the consignor wants, but if you're not going to start at 99p then I would have started at 9,999.99 and see where it ended up.

Personally I don't think it'll sell.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Phil’s got a handful of select Beano buyers. One of them may go for it as an upgrade given its condition and sell off their existing copy to part fund it. They might buy it straight off or make a strong offer afterwards. Whatever happens it’s great to see an original No.1 in such good condition.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:Phil’s got a handful of select Beano buyers. One of them may go for it as an upgrade given its condition and sell off their existing copy to part fund it. They might buy it straight off or make a strong offer afterwards. Whatever happens it’s great to see an original No.1 in such good condition.
I thought the same. Sooooooo tempted! Let's hope if one of them comes out for a better copy, their original comes out to the market too

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phil sells on behalf of others so the owner probably insisted on the £25k.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

If I bought it and then paid not using Paypal I'd want a refund of £475.

Actually thinking about it, as you have to accept Paypal he's on a bit of a sticky wicket regarding delivery if the buyer pays with Paypal. As delivering in person wouldn't give you any seller protection. I think he'd have to use a third party trackable company or an unscrupulous buyer could say they didn't receive it and just instigate a claim, which would result in being both the comic and £25k down.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:If I bought it and then paid not using Paypal I'd want a refund of £475.

Actually thinking about it, as you have to accept Paypal he's on a bit of a sticky wicket regarding delivery if the buyer pays with Paypal. As delivering in person wouldn't give you any seller protection. I think he'd have to use a third party trackable company or an unscrupulous buyer could say they didn't receive it and just instigate a claim, which would result in being both the comic and £25k down.
Good point, I never thought of that. I'm sure Phil will make sure a receipt of some form is signed.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I would imagine that the record breaking starting price is an indication that the owner is in no real hurry to sell it and only wants to see whether anyone is willing to pay such a price at this very special moment in the Beano's history for such an excellent copy of the first issue. After all if it doesn't sell for 25k now it's hard to see when in the forseeable future that it might.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

In 20 years.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:I would imagine that the record breaking starting price is an indication that the owner is in no real hurry to sell it and only wants to see whether anyone is willing to pay such a price at this very special moment in the Beano's history for such an excellent copy of the first issue. After all if it doesn't sell for 25k now it's hard to see when in the forseeable future that it might.
How many members do we have?

If we all chipped in a few quid we could buy it between us and pass it around.

I'm sure we've all seen the Simpsons episode where Bart and his pals buy Radioactive Man #1.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

20 years is about right!

I love the idea of all chipping in but I think however it's bought, £25k is too expensive unless you have bottomless pockets. If it had started lower, I would have had a very serious run at it as it is such an iconic #1 but I'm in no hurry so I'll wait for now :(

I was also thinking that if you don't pay via paypal, you will also have issues over security as a buyer. It's a lot of money to spend on the promise that the comic will be delivered.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've never seen the Simpsons :|

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I've never seen the Simpsons :|
You don't know what you're missing!

starscape

Post by starscape »

You will never have read the excellent Radioactive Man, which parodies, amongst others, the 60s X-Men, the hipster DC Comics, New Gods, the Golden-Age goodies of Radio-Man and All-Squid Comics, the Grim'n'Gritty Washmen, Steranko
and this Gold Key effort:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I was actually thinking about suggesting the chipping in thing... but i dunno how it'd actually work in practicality.

No doubt like everyone else I've also been thinking about how much I'd actually pay just for myself.

Now bare in mind I'm a dealer and not a Beano collector - but I'd also be buying it as I've always wanted one and would be willing to hold onto it for at least a decade.

Its also the best one in existence and even if another really nice one came along i think it'd be very hard to beat.

All that considered - would I buy at:

£10k? - yes absolutely, no brainer

£15k? - again yes, there's even still a profit in it

£20k? - if I knew mine would be the winning bid or it was BIN then I'd have to raid the premium bonds and have a little chat with the nearest and dearest but yes, just about

£25k? - no - its just too high for right now in 2018