What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by starscape »

I don't want anyone getting overexcited here but I was the manager of Lothian Hammers (team colours? Claret and blue)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

starscape wrote:I was the manager of Lothian Hammers (team colours? Claret and blue)
Just a guess mind, but I'm pretty certain that they weren't based anywhere near Burnley. :lol: Given the name Lothian, would I be right in assuming that there is a Scottish connection in your family, or is Lothian simply a place name that appealed to you, and sounded like a appropriate name for your team?

Just as an aside, starscape, from the matter in hand, now that I have been living in my new house in Hayle since June 20th, I have been known to have the occasional pint in The Old Quay House. It isn't really the weather at the moment to sit outside unfortunately, but it's certainly something to look forward to in the Spring. In the meantime, the White Hart and the Copperhouse are doing an admirable 'filling in' job.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I loved Subbuteo as a kid whether it was football, rugby or cricket. Each had its charms.
My most frequent opponent was my younger brother who I would trounce on a fairly regular basis. I had both versions of the Subbuteo rugby game, the old rolling disks version and then the one introduced in the mid 1960's with similar 'flick to kick' players as the football version and the 'scrummage machine'. I remember the first edition of Subbuteo cricket I had came without the green baize playing pitch but recommended that you marked the pitch out with chalk on an old army blanket an item of bed covering that the manufacturers must have thought most families would have had in their possession in the 1950's.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phoenix wrote:
starscape wrote:I was the manager of Lothian Hammers (team colours? Claret and blue)
Just a guess mind, but I'm pretty certain that they weren't based anywhere near Burnley. :lol: Given the name Lothian, would I be right in assuming that there is a Scottish connection in your family, or is Lothian simply a place name that appealed to you, and sounded like a appropriate name for your team?

Just as an aside, starscape, from the matter in hand, now that I have been living in my new house in Hayle since June 20th, I have been known to have the occasional pint in The Old Quay House. It isn't really the weather at the moment to sit outside unfortunately, but it's certainly something to look forward to in the Spring. In the meantime, the White Hart and the Copperhouse are doing an admirable 'filling in' job.
Personally, and no matter how hot it is, I always prefer to sit inside a pub. If you're supping a pint outside you may as well do it in your garden. The point of a pub is to enjoy the ambience. I remember all my colleagues sitting outside once but I stayed at the bar. Then they all came back inside to join me. Having said all that I have only visited a pub once in the past two years. Being a pensioner now means I cannot stretch to £5 a pint London prices.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Final purchase this month, and today I have purchased the third Combat Colin comic, and the Pedantic Stan comic from fellow forum member, Lew Stringer.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Fair play, I’ve been racking my brains over what it could be - subbuteo! Well done that man!

As to the cricket and marking out the pitch, well I just admit that I played it with my granddad and older brother in the early seventies and wasn’t much impressed, it certainly didn’t seem like cricket to me.

Much preferred the flick and pass and shoot of subbuteo. And even then I always thought that the ball was massive!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Bought the bound vol of the jan-jul 1966 of June which has the full run of the Growing Up of Emma Peel strip. Really pleased to get it, easily the hardest Avengers strip to complete from the sixties.

Now I’m bound to get the run of the Diana Avengers strip bound to complement it.

Happy days.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:And even then I always thought that the ball was massive!
The ball was actually small. It only seemed 'massive' because all the footballers were pigmies.
koollectablz wrote:Now I’m bound to get the run of the Diana Avengers strip bound to complement it.
You may need to be patient if you must have the strip in the issues of DIANA. I couldn't get it that way so, if I remember correctly, which these days I don't always, I bought a relatively recently-produced volume of the entire strip, but don't ask me where I got it from, because I can't remember that either. 30th Century Comics in Lower Richmond Road in Putney would be the best people to approach. (Phone 0208 788 2052 : from 10/10.30).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Personally, and no matter how hot it is, I always prefer to sit inside a pub. If you're supping a pint outside you may as well do it in your garden. The point of a pub is to enjoy the ambience. I remember all my colleagues sitting outside once but I stayed at the bar. Then they all came back inside to join me. Having said all that I have only visited a pub once in the past two years. Being a pensioner now means I cannot stretch to £5 a pint London prices.
I rarely sit outside a pub in London, Steve, due largely to the noxious particles in the air, but if the sun is cracking the flags, or if the place is so packed that you can't have a proper conversation, I would take my pint outside unless it's raining. I can't really agree with your assertion that the point of a pub is to enjoy the ambience. Surely it is simply to provide a venue for people who fancy a drink, usually alcoholic but not exclusively so. £5 does seem a tad on the high side for a pint though, but here in Hayle a pint can be about £3.25, which is at least 50p more than I was paying on Merseyside before I came down permanently to Cornwall. The cost of a pint would appear to be determined by whatever area of the country it is being sold in. I can't imagine many folk on Merseyside being prepared to pay £5 for a pint of anything. A plethora of Mine Hosts would inevitably be beating a steady path towards the nearest Job Centre.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

About three years ago I asked for two pints of Doom Bar in the Ring pub near Waterloo. "Ten pounds, please". Collapse of stout party (or best bitter party).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:About three years ago I asked for two pints of Doom Bar in the Ring pub near Waterloo.
We can get that on tap down here too.
stevezodiac wrote:"Ten pounds, please"
But at nowhere near that price.
stevezodiac wrote:Collapse of stout party
Who was she, Steve?

Have you noticed the coincidence in our fixtures today? Your Millwall are at home to Ipswich, who are bottom of the Championship, and my Bolton are at home to Hull City, who are next to bottom.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Phoenix wrote:
koollectablz wrote:And even then I always thought that the ball was massive!
The ball was actually small. It only seemed 'massive' because all the footballers were pigmies.
koollectablz wrote:Now I’m bound to get the run of the Diana Avengers strip bound to complement it.
You may need to be patient if you must have the strip in the issues of DIANA. I couldn't get it that way so, if I remember correctly, which these days I don't always, I bought a relatively recently-produced volume of the entire strip, but don't ask me where I got it from, because I can't remember that either. 30th Century Comics in Lower Richmond Road in Putney would be the best people to approach. (Phone 0208 788 2052 : from 10/10.30).
True enough, I guess if they had made the ball in proportion it wouldn’t have been playable, or every player would have to have the skill set of maradona.

I do already have the Diana’s and the recent Big Finish reprint, but cheers for the heads up.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:I do already have the Diana’s and the recent Big Finish reprint, but cheers for the heads up.
Thanks, that's OK. How I missed seeing the second word 'bound' in.....
.....I have absolutely no idea. Sorry. :oops:

SID

Post by SID »

Black Max graphic novel. Well worth the wait.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

starscape

Post by starscape »

Phoenix wrote:

I live in Scotland. Now in the Lothians but in the West at the time (my street was Lothian Crescent). Some of my wider family supported West Ham, hence... although only outsiders call them the Hammers of course (the Irons to true fans).

A job came up that made me closely consider moving back to Cornwall. I declined but only just. Looking forward to a holiday instead.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies