Crikey! is back

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Robbie Moubert

Re: Crikey! is back

Post by Robbie Moubert »

tony ingram wrote: Well, I'm deeply sorry that those writers, all of whom were simply putting stuff together in their own time for no pay just because they wanted to spread a little joy about their hobby around, didn't come up to your exacting standards. And I'm absolutely mortified, of course, that I didn't pick up on those errors while editing the damn thing in my spare time whilst holding down a full time job. Naturally, you could have done so much better in every way, I'm certain. It's a wonder you didn't, really...

*Shrug*

It's basic standards not "exacting standards".

But anyway, everyone else loves you.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's understandable that people should feel a bit sensitive about magazines they've poured so much time and effort into, but to be fair to Robbie he only said that he personally found Crikey to be "slightly disappointing".

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

As I recall Crikey improved with age but there were some shaky moments at the start (the inadvertent announcement of the death of Terry Bave, the Smash article in issue 3) but it has lots to recommend it and my bookshelves wouldn't be the same without it.

Will I buy the reprints? Probably not as I have issues 1-16 and I bought the Special as well
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:As I recall Crikey improved with age but there were some shaky moments at the start (the inadvertent announcement of the death of Terry Bave, the Smash article in issue 3) but it has lots to recommend it and my bookshelves wouldn't be the same without it.

Will I buy the reprints? Probably not as I have issues 1-16 and I bought the Special as well
Ooooooo, I have 1-16 but I didn't know there was a Special!

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

For what its worth I enjoyed it too.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i think i thought they was hardback but they ain't they are perfect bound

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Richard S. wrote:As I recall Crikey improved with age but there were some shaky moments at the start (the inadvertent announcement of the death of Terry Bave, the Smash article in issue 3) but it has lots to recommend it and my bookshelves wouldn't be the same without it.

It was digital only. It's my avatar.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

tony ingram wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:

It was digital only. It's my avatar.
Cheers Tony. That would explain why I've never seen it as I only found Crikey! a year or two ago.

tonyf33

Post by tonyf33 »

We are very close to printing the first volume of Crikey for release in February. You can pre-order all four volumes in print or pdf or order just Volume 1 only at www.comicscene.tictail.com - there is a sale on to 7th January for the best price and all orders before 21st January will get their first volume in February. It's a great slice of comic history, warts and all, and we are very happy to be bringing it back for people who missed it the first time around or want them together in four perfect bound volumes along with new and previously unpublished material.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

tonyf33 wrote:We are very close to printing the first volume of Crikey for release in February. You can pre-order all four volumes in print or pdf or order just Volume 1 only at http://www.comicscene.tictail.com - there is a sale on to 7th January for the best price and all orders before 21st January will get their first volume in February. It's a great slice of comic history, warts and all, and we are very happy to be bringing it back for people who missed it the first time around or want them together in four perfect bound volumes along with new and previously unpublished material.
Or, indeed, people who have made the grave error of leaving their entire run in storage at their in-laws house 225 miles away, and now can't afford to retrieve them... :oops: