Another appeal for help in finding a serial

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Another appeal for help in finding a serial

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Merely out of interest, as I was replacing the issues of BUNTY in my 1966 pile, I noticed that there are two issues numbered 437, these being the ones dated May 28 and June 4. The anomaly was adjusted by omitting issue 441. Issue 440 (June 25 1966) was followed by 442 (July 2 1966).

Regarding the request from Tammyfan for brief synopses, I'm perfectly happy to write them but just not tonight.
That's fine, no rush for them.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Doesn't sound like the Sally story we mentioned earlier is the one Bunty Girl is after.

Bunty Girl

Post by Bunty Girl »

I'm sorry if I'm sending you all on a wild-goose chase but I have a vivid memory of a comic strip illustration of a girl (not the main character) in a military-style uniform taking off a beret to reveal a shaven head, and that memory is more than half-a-century old! My Bunty reading days were from 1963 - 1967/8.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Bunty Girl wrote:I'm sorry if I'm sending you all on a wild-goose chase but I have a vivid memory of a comic strip illustration of a girl (not the main character) in a military-style uniform taking off a beret to reveal a shaven head, and that memory is more than half-a-century old! My Bunty reading days were from 1963 - 1967/8.
Maybe the character appeared in the war nurse story mentioned earlier?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

So let me get this straight. In effect we are now being asked to find just one panel, in which a girl removes a beret, in a serial that appeared at some point between 1963 and 1968 in some story paper or other, that may have been BUNTY, but may not have been. In the light of this new information I will check War Nurse Vicky again but I'm not prepared to do more as my time is precious and the search has definitely begun to look like a wild-goose chase, the possibility of which Bunty Girl acknowledged earlier.

Bunty Girl

Post by Bunty Girl »

No Phoenix, you are not looking for a single panel. I remember the same story that Tammyfan was looking for but that particular panel sticks in my mind. Thank you for your efforts anyway.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The story being sought is not War Nurse Vicky. As I promised, I read every episode this morning. There were neither kidnaps nor shaven heads anywhere to be seen, although some camels did get stolen one night, so we can definitely rule it out.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Bunty Girl wrote:I have a vivid memory of a comic strip illustration of a girl (not the main character) in a military-style uniform taking off a beret to reveal a shaven head, and that memory is more than half-a-century old! My Bunty reading days were from 1963 - 1967/8.
Phoenix wrote:In effect we are now being asked to find just one panel, in which a girl removes a beret, in a serial that appeared at some point between 1963 and 1968
Bunty Girl wrote:No Phoenix, you are not looking for a single panel
Regardless of whether the story appeared in BUNTY or elsewhere, unless the girl removes the beret over two panels, Bunty Girl, she must surely remove it in just one. Finding the story in which she does so is, of course, a different matter. I have just looked again through my collection for the years in question, not looking for the story, but to find out exactly which issues are missing. See below:-

1963 - 261 : 262 : 289 : 291 : 296 : 301 : 311.
1964 - 315 : 316 : 327.
1965 - 405.
1966 - 451.
1967 - 514.
1968 - 533.
So, there is obviously no hiding place for a serial. If the story was printed in BUNTY, at any point in the above years, it has therefore to be in my collection. All that I can do now is check my issues for 1962 (3 issues missing :- 208 : 221 : and 222.) and 1969 (no issues missing). I'm not persuaded that it is worth the bother, but if you would feel more comfortable my doing so, I will. I might do it anyway just to satisfy my curiosity.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:So let me get this straight. In effect we are now being asked to find just one panel, in which a girl removes a beret, in a serial that appeared at some point between 1963 and 1968 in some story paper or other, that may have been BUNTY, but may not have been. In the light of this new information I will check War Nurse Vicky again but I'm not prepared to do more as my time is precious and the search has definitely begun to look like a wild-goose chase, the possibility of which Bunty Girl acknowledged earlier.
Perhaps this character appears in more than one panel.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Perhaps this character appears in more than one panel.
I have acknowledged that possibility in my previous post. She may even have appeared in twenty, but surely no more than two in which she is removing her beret, which would probably be the only possible opportunities for the reader to see her shaven head.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A character in Carry On Abroad, that I am currently watching on ITV3, has just said that he once knew a woman who had all her hair cut off. Coincidence or what? :lol:

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Bunty Girl wrote:I still stand by my earlier post that this picture story was in Bunty (the weekly comic not a picture story library). I have a feeling that the picture story Mona the Magician was running at the same time, about 1966 perhaps?
I'll toss this into the ring. There were two serials running at the same time in BUNTY in 1966, which just might be the ones Bunty Girl is recalling. Mona The Maharaja's Magician ran in 429 (April 2 1966) - 438 (June 11 1966), and War Nurse Vicky ran in 429 (April 2 1966) - 436 (May 21 1966). The latter was coloured red and pink in the centre pages.
The original Mona story, "Mona Maid of Magic", appeared in 1965. It ended 20 March, but I don't have the start date. Could the story in question have appeared in 1965?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think I might have found the story. It could be Trudi Of Tyrollia, which runs in the centre pages coloured red and pink, in BUNTY 359 (November 28 1964) - 373 (March 6 1965). She is kidnapped in issue 365 (January 9 1965) by gipsies, who blamed her for their having been banished from Tyrollia. Mona - Maid Of Magic ran in 365 (January 9 1965) - 375 (March 20 1965).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:I think I might have found the story. It could be Trudi Of Tyrollia, which runs in the centre pages coloured red and pink, in BUNTY 359 (November 28 1964) - 373 (March 6 1965). She is kidnapped in issue 365 (January 9 1965) by gipsies, who blamed her for their having been banished from Tyrollia. Mona - Maid Of Magic ran in 365 (January 9 1965) - 375 (March 20 1965).
Thank you for the information. You haven't mentioned whether you found any shaven headed girls with berets in the story, but the information you have provided should still be useful for our Girls Comics of
Yesterday site.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 11 Feb 2019, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:You haven't mentioned whether you found any shaven headed girls with berets in the story
No, there weren't any shaven heads as far as I could tell, but of course while I couldn't see under the berets, there was no lack of hair behind or to the sides of the berets, so I thought it reasonable to assume full heads of hair beneath them.