My Grandfather was the artist behind Cap'n Hood

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

maxCapnHood

My Grandfather was the artist behind Cap'n Hood

Post by maxCapnHood »

Hi,

I have searched the internet for a long time in an attempt to find credit for my Grandfather's work and no where could I find him being credited as the illustrator behind Cap'n Hood.

My Grandfather - Raymond Hamilton - was an illustrator for Sparky Comics in the 1960s. I have proof in the form of an article which was written about him (looking dashing!) and have attached this as proof. I feel it's my service to him to show the world who he was.

In my searching for places that credit my Grandad I had found this forum and hope that this is fine to post here. I just want people to know that my Grandfather was the one to have worked on comics that brought so much joy to people.
Article regarding Raymond Hamilton
Article regarding Raymond Hamilton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: My Grandfather was the artist behind Cap'n Hood

Post by colcool007 »

Welcome to the group. Capn Hood is not a character I am familiar with so I will need to ask the rest of the gang if anyone can provide a scan of one of the strips.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

maxCapnHood

Post by maxCapnHood »

I've attached a picture of one of my dad's framed Cap'n Hood comics :)

There are apparently many more that my dad and grandmother have in storage as well.
Attachments
93037701_539578040327693_7603383812449370112_n.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks for the details on your Grandad, Max. It's not too surprising that you've not come across Cap'n Hood though Col as the strip only ran for 20 weeks in Sparky even though it was printed on full colour on the back page. It ran from No 212 (8/2/69) to No 231 (21/6/69) and it never appeared in the yearly Sparky Book.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

looks like a 'Jonah' homage / rip-off / pastiche (delete as applicable, and with no slur on Raymond Hamilton)
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 19:24
Thanks for the details on your Grandad, Max. It's not too surprising that you've not come across Cap'n Hood though Col as the strip only ran for 20 weeks in Sparky even though it was printed on full colour on the back page. It ran from No 212 (8/2/69) to No 231 (21/6/69) and it never appeared in the yearly Sparky Book.
At least I have an excuse for not seeing it before as I was only 6 months old when the run finished!

What else did Raymond illustrate? I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see more of your grandfather's work.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

dishes

Post by dishes »

Kashgar wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 19:24
I remember it being featured heavily in the Sparky 1980 book (in reprint form however). I enjoyed it a lot.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks Dishes for reminding me that Cap'n Hood did feature in the 1980 Sparky Book. I didn't check that far. Two of his original 1969 strips were reprinted in the book, in full colour, as they had originally appeared.