Lockdown in comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Lockdown in comics

Post by abacus »

No carboots, No charity shops and christmas shopping vouchers which includes an ever increasing number of shops that have closed for ever.Ah well! freedom can't be far away :P

stevezodiac

Re: Lockdown in comics

Post by stevezodiac »

Kempton Park confirms their antique fair is back on 13th April.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Haven't been to a car bootsale in ages. Ah, yes.... Those were the pre-lockdown days when I got up at 6am in the morning. Had a cup of tea and a slice of buttered toast. Then gathered my bag of pound coins, only to sound like a troop of Morris Dancers as I walked the 2 miles to my local booty hoping for some vintage bargains. :D
Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Yes I've also missed getting out and about and when lockdowns finished I will be ready to start spending.
Staying in reminds me of that old joke.

Dr: " you will have to stay in an isolation room and be fed pancakes"
Patient: " why pancakes?"
Dr: "the're the only things we can slide under the door"

I did see a uk comic book a few months ago that I liked in Smith's which was £6.99 ( I'm not sure of the title) and if it's still there I can use one of the shopping vouchers I had at christmas although I could just as easily pay cash.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Not being able to get out and about for non essential buying and also not being an internet buyer.
getting new stuff is limited,however I can find bits and pieces to download from the internet.
As a collector of comics and annuals my knowledge of such is not that great so I was pleased to find Discovering comics by Denis Gifford.I know from reading forum members in the past that some dispute some of Denis's findings but there is enough basic knowledge for me.I will give the download url and recommend viewing on a larger tablet.
click link if interested.

http://booksdl.org/comics0/_CO ... ED/

The download is just below the halfway point on the list.
cover image, which is not shown in list.
From library Genesis which this is an off shoot I did get Magic comic 1939.
I think the next best thing to shopping is surfing the internet :D

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

I've just this week submitted an article for the fanzine, Sequential, on the subject of what I did during lockdowns - all about comics of course.
Not being a consumer of new comics, I relied on the occasional online purchase of old comics, particularly pocket libraries. Plus all the amazing material available on the internet.
But at a couple of points, I decided to sort out some of my own physical comics and I should have realised it was doomed to failure. Open a box, start looking and checking, BUT, very soon I made the fatal mistake of opening an issue. That was it for sorting etc. I just sat and read. Sometimes I can grow blase about my collection. The covers look good, but I should never forget that there is so much entertainment to be had from comics that I might have read a dozen times.

abacus

Post by abacus »

I like the Indrajal comics which I only came across recently..Decided to download a couple of Garth comics to read while in Iockdown .I remember when I was young and my parents had the Daily Mirror I would read the comic strips that included Garth, Buck Ryan , Belinďa , Jane etc. Anyway here is a guess who image from Indrajal Garth comic book.
How did you do? :)

old paw broon

Post by old paw broon »

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie! - Out! Out! Out! A common chant back then.
Indrajal are definitely worth a look. Not only Garth but those other strips you mention. Plus The Phantom and Mandrake.. That is as long as you don't mind the bad printing and colouring.

abacus

Post by abacus »

old paw broon wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:52
Indrajal are definitely worth a look. Not only Garth but those other strips you mention. Plus The Phantom and Mandrake.. That is as long as you don't mind the bad printing and colouring.
yes! Mind you ìt would have been interesting to see how she would have dealt with the covid crisis

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 06:46
old paw broon wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:52
yes! Mind you ìt would have been interesting to see how she would have dealt with the covid crisis
Didn't Maggie put a handkerchief over a BA plane tail once out of disgust due to it not having a Union Flag on it? Think it had some sort of swirly design or something? Firstly, she must have had a huge hankie to achieve such a feat. And secondly, she'd likely get Covid like Boris didn't have due to her using that mammoth-sized hankie on that aforementioned plane. ;)
Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Have you considered antique fairs, I see there are quite a few in Leicestershire. I picked up hundreds of 50s British comics at Kempton Park antique fair about three years ago. Very cheaply too with runs of Lion, Tiger and TV Fun from issue 1 and also bundles of Knockout, Film Fun and Radio fun. A nice civilised day out regardless.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's my original post from 2019 giving details.

Back in December I came across someone selling batches of comics at very reasonable prices and have been carrying bags of them away at regular intervals. Among them were a couple of hundred Shoots and Goals and a run of Striker.

Here is a list of my acquisitions:

Lion 1-4, 18-46, 48-63, 116-119.
Tiger 1-49 including free gifts for 2, 29 and 30.
TV Fun 1-14, 16-56.
Knockout 751-786 (1953-54)
Film Fun 1672-1736, 1789-1832.
Radio Fun 659, 660, 686-771, 848-854.
Rover 1493-1515, 1525-1539, 1552, 1554, 1565, 1567-1575, 1581-1612 free gift tin pocket puzzler with 1597 and free cricketer photos with issues 1607-1612.
Hotspur 902
Wizard 1461
Champion 1485, 1486, 1557, 1671-1729
Adventure 1516-1562, 1574-1576, 1617-1635 issues 1517, 1518, 1550, 1551, 1630-1635 have their free gifts.
Jingles 597-624.
Striker 1-6, 8-25, 30-35.

They came in bundles of about £35-£45 each so good value. He had some Eagles but I passed them up as have never been a fan.

And there were about 200 football magazines from early seventies.

I forgot to mention a free gift Glider in one of the TV Funs.

abacus

Post by abacus »

An excellent collection.

Once I came across a seller with a lot of Victor comics and a large bound up parcel of Buster comics I bought a few of the Victors and the parcel of Buster comics and to be honest I 'm not a fan of Buster and wish I had bought all the Victors instead.

l like buying comics that were around during my childhood or the later shorter run comics like Spike,Hoot,Nutty,Sparky for instance.
U.S. comics like Xmen .Avengers,JLA, Spiderman never interested me, I prefered such as Jonah Hex , Conan, and any of the mystery or horror comics.
I would also buy the U.S. cartoon character comics plus any Disney comics I came across because they will always be popular.

Would I collect comic runs ? I don't think so , I like to have one or two representatives of each title but I woudn't want the runs. :D

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Since the start of the lockdown my comic buying has been very minimal, been to some bootsales comics have been non existent not even the bootsale favourite 2000 ad. The charity shops in my area are a waste of time most had signs in windows no books or dvds wanted. And having decided to retire last week I shall not have as much disposable income to spend on comics, fortunately I have probably 500 plus comics, graphic novels and omnibus graphic novels that I still have not read yet which will pass quite a few winter days when she who must be obeyed is a work.🙂