IPC Fleetway or DC Thomson?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

IPC/Fleetway or DC Thomson?

IPC/ Fleetway
48%
DC Thomson
24%
Fleetway for action/ DCT for comedy
20%
DCT for action/ Fleetway for comedy
8%

Total votes: 25

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

So who's best?

Fleetway comics include:
Action, Battle, Krazy, Eagle, Valiant, Whoopee, 2000AD, Buster
with characters such as:
Dan Dare, Cheeky, Steel Claw, Spider, Roy of the Rovers, Judge Dredd

DCT had/has:
Beano, Hotspur, Victor, Topper, Dandy, Crunch, Commando
with the following:
Billy the Cat, King Cobra, Alf Tupper, Dennis the Menace, Morgyn the Mighty
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Fleetway tips it for me, they made great Annuals and Summer Specials.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

I don't care what anyone says-DCT Rule!!! Which also explains why I have 200 MORE DCT comics than IPC, and 100 more annuals!
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

I know I'm biased really, but Fleetway rocks!

Buster always seemed to blow the Dandy and the Beano out the window when they were up against each other.

And of course it was Buster that gave us Superman strips in the UK!
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Loved the IPC stuff, Action, Battle, etc but still read Commandos with a passion so that tipped it for me.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

brisey

Post by brisey »

I was always a fleetway fan as a child and looked forward to seeing the next part of a series.

As an adult buying off eBay I seem to appreciate the fact that DCT comics are more self contained even parts of serials.

So I am a don't know.

Steelclaw is right though Fleetway Summer Specials were better

paulvonscott

Post by paulvonscott »

Has to be Fleetway for me, going back a lot of those DCT ones are very very dull comics.

SID

Re: IPC Fleetway or DC Thomson?

Post by SID »

Saw this old thread and couldn't resist.

IPC/Fleetway for adventure and action but there were exceptions such as The Crunch and The Hotspur.

DCT for comedy but there was also Krazy Comic and Cheeky Weekly.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

I'd be going with Fleetway, on both humour and action, but and its a big BUT, the Beano will always be my favourite funny, growing up there was nothing that came near to it, and there was a lot of choice!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I am amazed to see that my answer is now 8 years old! Despite the grittiness and the realism of IPC, I still cling to DCT.

While much of the the later DCT output now seems twee and tame, they can still keep me enthralled for hours as I work my way through a year of Victor, Hotspur, Warlord or any of the other comics from Dundee.

I admire the artwork, the tightness of scripting and the way it continues, even after 30 years or so, to hold you to read the next week's episode.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

What a strange question. I'm not able to state a preference and I don't understand how the rest of you can. :wink: As a big fan of both Billy the Cat and Spider; Steel Claw and King Cobra; The Falcon and Johnny Jett; Jonah and Billy Bunter, it's too difficult to choose and I'd prefer to praise and enjoy strips from both. There is so much good stuff these publishers - and, like most other things, some stuff that just doesn't appeal to me :oops:

starscape

Post by starscape »

I don't know, I thought it was a rather good question.

For action, it's certainly Fleetway hands-down. As a kid, I found the Victor etc., pretty staid compared to, say, Valiant (Dull Comics Thomson as someone said). I actually enjoy them far more now as an adult. I did like some of the 'later' (if I may use such an undefined term) comics, such as Warlord and The Crunch. But even then, their Fleetway equivalents of Battle and 2000AD were far superior.

A little more difficult for the Funnies. I was never much into the Beano and Dandy, preferring Krazy and Cheeky especially, but also rating the likes of Whoopee!, Monster Fun and Shiver & Shake as bringing something a little different to naughty kids. Sparky was perhaps the most 'different' of the DCT titles.

So, it's Fleetway for me. It doesn't mean I don't like DCT, in the same way as preferring tea doesn't mean I don't like coffee. But there's a clear preference in there.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Now that is interesting and I understand what you say. Never having read Krazy, Cheeky ,Whoopee!, Monster Fun, Shiver & Shake, I can't comment, but again, the humour strips I enjoy are the DCT ones such as Jonah, Bash St Kids and others but also the funnies in Radio Fun, Film Fun and some others. As for action and superhero features, I have to say again how much I enjoy Billy the Cat, King Cobra, Kelly's Eye, Legend Testers, Jet Ace Logan and so many more and I find it impossible to have a preference. Both companies offer a tremendous selection of action/adventure characters and I would also list Flip McCoy, Jack Flash, Robot Builders, Victor Drago, Spellbinder, Robot Archie. So much to enjoy - from both companies. Wonderful. :soapbox: :oops:

dishes

Post by dishes »

I agree with you, Paw. Maybe most of us feel that way since there's only been fifteen votes in this poll that has been running nine years.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dishes wrote:there's only been fifteen votes in this poll that has been running nine years.
Hardly running! Standing still would describe it better. :)