Birmingham International Comics Show 2008

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

chebbo

Re: Birmingham International Comics Show 2008

Post by chebbo »

Captain Storm wrote:Aren't they fanzines as opposed to regular comics?In this case Size really does matter :lol:
No they are all comics with original comic strips contained within.

We actually did the printing for the latest Omnivistascope and it looks pretty amazing even if I do say so myself.

Shane

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks Shane.I'd forgotten about this post :lol: Anyway,it does seem a good way to get something out there!Might look into it myself at a later date.Though my area of interest would be indexing..not sure how many would be taken with that :wink:
Best of luck with the business in any case,
The Cap.

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Cheers for that.

S.
Captain Storm wrote:Thanks Shane.I'd forgotten about this post :lol: Anyway,it does seem a good way to get something out there!Might look into it myself at a later date.Though my area of interest would be indexing..not sure how many would be taken with that :wink:
Best of luck with the business in any case,
The Cap.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:Though my area of interest would be indexing..not sure how many would be taken with that :wink:
Kashgar and Steve Holland have produced a number of indexes in the past that were well received. Off the top of my head I recall ones for Buster, Dandy, Beano, Topper, Fleetway... I'm sure there's more. Very useful for checking story runs etc without digging out the comics. (Or for specifying which issues to search for on eBay.)

There was a great one for Power Comics too, which was my favourite of the indexes. Unfortunately I loaned it to someone years ago and never had it back. It's impossible to replace now. :headbash:

Should have stuck to my usual philosophy of "Never a borrower nor a lender be".

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Hot Thor artist Olivier Coipel has now confirmed a weekend long appearance as our third overseas special guest. The French superstar creator is looking forward to his first UK convention and I'm sure all Marvel fans are eagerly awaiting the chance to get a sketch and to meet the man himself.

Also now confirmed: Dave Gibbons, Mark Buckingham, Alan Davies, Charlie Adlard, Leah Moore and John Reppion and flying in from the US - DC Comics editor and Artist Mark Chiarello.

Plus many many more.

cheers,

Chebbo

chebbo

WIN A WRITING GIG AT 2000AD!!

Post by chebbo »

:wave: This year at the Birmingham International Comics Show budding writers will be given the chance to enter the BICS GOT TALENT writing competition.

Entrants will be able to pitch an idea for a Tharg's Future Shock to a star line up of professional Judges and the final three will face an audience vote to decide which story will be illustrated by a top 2000ad artist and published in a forthcoming issue.

The final winner will receive full payment for their story as first prize, and the runner's up will receive exclusive 2000ad prizes.

To enter keep an eye on our website for updates and further details.
Only those attending the show both days will be able to enter this competition.

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

'Marvel Zombies' and 'Criminal' artist Sean Phillips also now confirmed for BICS 2008.

Shane

www.thecomicsshow.co.uk

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

We have secured a special rate for BICS visitors at:

The Paragon Hotel, 145 Alcester Street, Birmingham. B12 0PJ

( 0121 627 0627 | 7 0121 627 0628 | ( Direct Line 0121 606 4912

The agreed rates are £45.00 B&B for single rooms, £65.00 B&B for double rooms.

The reference for the guests to quote when calling to make a reservation is COMI041008, the hotel will require contact details and a credit/debit card guarantee for each room booking.

We are also looking at a deal with a hotel closer to the show, more news to follow.

all the best

Shane

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Other hotels we've cut deals with:

Macdonald Burlington Hotel (4 star)
Burlington Arcade
126 New Street
Birmingham
B2 4JQ

Tel 0121 643 9191

www.burlingtonhotel.com

10 single rooms and 10 double rooms only left available.

£80 single b&b
£100 double for sole occupancy b&b
£110 double for double occupancy b&b

Britannia Hotel (3 star)New Street
Birmingham
B2 4RX

Tel 0871 222 5501 (central reservation number)

www.Britanniahotels.com

Hotel contact is Dona Dryden

100 rooms on hold for BICS
£45 b&b single
£65 b&b double/twin

all the best
Shane

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

For The Britannia Hotel the reference number is TCBI0310. You will need to quote this when placing your booking.

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

David Lloyd Confirmed For Bics 2008!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right folks... the legendary Warrior artist, the respected co-creator of V For Vendetta and creator of Kickback David Lloyd will be appearing at The Birmingham International Comics Show this October!

We are thrilled that David could make it along this year, as on previous years work commitments have kept the creator from attending.

He'll be signing both days, so be sure to bring your copies of David's books along, or better still, pick one up from one of the many retailers at the show at a great price!

In other news: Our website has now been updated with details of our Monster Launch Party, which is open to all guests, exhibitors, attending professionals, and the first 500 lucky pre registered attendees.

So get booking those tickets now!!

See you there!

THE BICS CREW.

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Judge Dredd, The Invisibles, Starman, JSA, Lucifer, The Authority, Ministry Of Space, and most recenlty, The Twelve artist CHRIS WESTON is now confirmed to appear at The Birmingham International Comics Show this October.

We are all big fans of Chris' work and look forward to welcoming him to BICS for the first time where he'll be signing and sketching for fans all weekend.

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Astonishing X-Men and Planetary artist JOHN CASSADAY, is now confirmed for this year's BICS 2008!!

We are thrilled to be welcoming such a superstar creator to the UK all the way from America.

John will be signing both days offering UK fans a rare opportunity to meet one of the industry's most respected and popular artists right on their doorstep.

Chebbo

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Green Arrow:Year One and Losers creative team Andy Diggle and Jock are now confirmed to appear at BICS 2008 for signings and sketches.

Jock will also be selling original artwork at the show, so get in early for your chance to own some great work from one of the UK's most talented artists!

Also now confirmed: Batman artist Lee Garbet and new Thor: Secret Invasion artist Doug Braithwait!

For the full updated guestlist go to: www.thecomicsshow.co.uk/guests.htm

all the best

Chebbo

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

HELL COMES TO BIRMINGHAM IN OCTOBER!

Writer of the top Marvel Comics title Captain Britain and renowned Doctor Who writer Paul Cornell will be signing at The Birmingham International Comics Show for both days.

Marvel's latest version of Captain Britain has proven incredibly popular, and bearing in mind the current storyline involving the Skrull invasion of Birmingham and other British landmark locations we think it's very fitting for the writer of that series to be making an appearance at the show.

Let's just hope he doesn't bring an army of marauding Skrulls with him.

Chebbo