Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Post by Raven »

philcom55 wrote:I haven't got any 1971 Whizzers to check but I would guess that 'The Backwood Boys' is a reprint of Roy Davis' similarly titled strip (later called PC1 of the Mounties) which ran in Lion from 1962-64.

- Phil R.

Ah, well that does sound like it, thanks. So - a reprint from early to mid-Sixties Lion (perhaps some were reprinted in Wham, too, Lew?)

But, Phil, surely you never go anywhere without several 1971 Whizzer and Chipses on your person? How do you get through the day?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
philcom55 wrote:I haven't got any 1971 Whizzers to check but I would guess that 'The Backwood Boys' is a reprint of Roy Davis' similarly titled strip (later called PC1 of the Mounties) which ran in Lion from 1962-64.

- Phil R.

Ah, well that does sound like it, thanks. So - a reprint from early to mid-Sixties Lion (perhaps some were reprinted in Wham, too, Lew?)
I could be mistaken that it appeared in Wham, I might be confusing it with The Good Sports which Roy drew in the same style. I remember I'd seen it somewhere before it turned up in W&C and I never read Lion until 1969 so perhaps I'm remembering it from a holiday special or something. Will check Wham! when I have more time. Writing a Viz script at present, so back to Word.....

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

Now, I wonder if the all-knowing mr. gar has a clue as to who drew Alfie in Africa ...

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Out of Curiosity does anyone know the exact date that 'Knockout' stopped appearing on the mask of Whizzer & Chips'?

The last Knockout was June 23rd 1973,
I have some 'Whizzer & Chips' from February 1974 that still had it on,did it continue into 1975?
cheers.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Still called "Whizzer & Chips incorporating Knockout" in September 74, there's a copy on eBay, I just Googled "Whizzer & Chips" Knockout to find that.

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

Personally my favourite IPC from the 70s was Krazy Comic. Great comic (and it also created an offshoot - Cheeky Weekly) but it didn't take too long for it to merge with Whizzer and Chips. :(
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

maclatha

Post by maclatha »

I think that Minnie's Mixer is made by Angel Nadal. I only know one page of this work but that's what it seems:

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... liant.html

Greetings from Barcelona :)

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Is that the same person as the Nadal who was one of the early Buster artists?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

maclatha

Post by maclatha »

Jonny Whizz wrote:Is that the same person as the Nadal who was one of the early Buster artists?
Yes, yes... in fact is Àngel Nadal:

http://lambiek.net/artists/n/nadal_angel.htm
http://coa.inducks.org/creator.php?c=Nad
http://www.dandare.info/artists/nadal.htm

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:Still called "Whizzer & Chips incorporating Knockout" in September 74, there's a copy on eBay, I just Googled "Whizzer & Chips" Knockout to find that.

It was just Whizzer and Chips by November 1974, so it looks like it was somewhere around October-November 1974 that the 'Incorporating Knockout' was dropped, and that the combined title lasted for around fifteen or sixteen months.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Still called "Whizzer & Chips incorporating Knockout" in September 74, there's a copy on eBay, I just Googled "Whizzer & Chips" Knockout to find that.

It was just Whizzer and Chips by November 1974, so it looks like it was somewhere around October-November 1974 that the 'Incorporating Knockout' was dropped, and that the combined title lasted for around fifteen or sixteen months.
Thanks you two.
I want to get all Whizzer and chips with Knockout as I now have all 107 Knockouts as of today Hoorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. :cheers:

When I first bought it I only had a around 60 Issues, now thanks to ebay I have the rest.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote: Thanks you two.
I want to get all Whizzer and chips with Knockout as I now have all 107 Knockouts as of today Hoorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. :cheers:

When I first bought it I only had a around 60 Issues, now thanks to ebay I have the rest.

Did you manage to get both Knockout Holiday Specials? The one I have is a lovely glossy item.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote: Thanks you two.

Did you manage to get both Knockout Holiday Specials? The one I have is a lovely glossy item.
Noooooooooo don't say that, I haven't got any Knockout Holiday specials, are you sure their was only 2 I know in the Specials section their is 2 but I'm sure I saw another one on ebay this year.
That's next on the agenda, I still need a few of the Annuals as well but they're fairly easy to get hold of still.

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:
Noooooooooo don't say that, I haven't got any Knockout Holiday specials, are you sure their was only 2 I know in the Specials section their is 2 but I'm sure I saw another one on ebay this year.
That's next on the agenda, I still need a few of the Annuals as well but they're fairly easy to get hold of still.

Ooh, I thought there were only two but maybe there were more.

The annuals aren't all quite as appealing as the Specials as they tend to publish reprints in the Knockout style of one prominent colour per page and it's sometimes done a bit hamfistedly and really ruins some of the original artwork! Not very aesthetic, though the colouring can be nice in the weeklies.

Mind you, I saw what I think was the first annual on Ebay, with a great Mike Lacey cover, and it looked great!