Buster's Dad

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Buster's Dad

Post by philcom55 »

It's funny how some 'facts' about comics history tend to become repeated over and over until nobody thinks to question them anymore. One such is the idea that while somebody who looked very much like Flo used to make regular appearances in Buster's strip when it was subtitled 'Son of Andy Capp', Reg Smythe's most famous creation never actually appeared himself (viz. "Andy was never seen (he was probably off down the pub), though Buster's mum looked a lot like Flo." - quoted from page 91 of Paul Gravett's excellent 'Great British Comics').

Having accepted this piece of received wisdom myself it therefore came as something of a surprise to me when I noticed the following scene while trawling through some old comics yesterday:
busta.jpg
- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Re: Buster's Dad

Post by Peter Gray »

I've seen his Dad before as well..
4th Feb 1961
10th Sept 1960
18th June 1960

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Also accurate is the position of the stairs in relation to the front door. And the picture on the wall showing Andy with a cigarette on his bottom lip is reminiscent of Smythe's style. Andy Capp's door number in the Mirror is 37. Is it shown as being that in the Buster at all?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I've STILL been unable to track down the single frame from the newspaper strip where ANDY appears without his cap; anyone on here SEEN/can scan in this rarity?

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

Regarding Andy in Buster, he did make a guest appearance in the mid 1990s, although never uttered a single word....from memory Buster was hunting for his Dad.

I have the edition tucked away at home - will dig it out over the weekend.

:offtopic1: updates heading onto the Buster website this weekend include a continuation of the page by page - now working on the late 1980s!
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

Hiya,

The Full Strip is visible over at

http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/andycapp1.jpg and http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/andycapp2.jpg
(be patient, they're large files and may take a while to load)

but for those only interested in seeing Andy....here he is!
Andy Capp in Buster 1995
Andy Capp in Buster 1995

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It's not letting us see the images :(

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I can see the images. :D

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Just keeps redirecting to hotlink.jpg in both Safari and Firefox

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

Maybe they're a bit too big.......I'll scale them down slightly and let you know when you can try them again

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Andy capp and flo were in an episode of family guy last night on bbc3 has andy or any other british comic character appeared in cartoons from across the pond?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

The problem with the Andy Capp in Family guy is that hes a cockney! Reg Smyth was from Hartlepool, Andy Capp is mentioned in the Simpsons a few times, homer sleeps on the couch and says 'That Andy Capp was onto something' and in another episode he laughs at one of the cartoons and sighs 'oh Andy Capp you wifebeating drunk'

or something like that

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thanks for the info steve i thought it strange andy capp being a cockney as you say he is from the northeast and i didnt know he appeared in the simpsons was andy a cockney in that or had matt groening done his homework and give him a geordie accent

Raven

Post by Raven »

Quite a few Americans seem to think that all English people speak in a Dick Van Dyke-esque version of the Cockney accent.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

"Of course i live in London. EVERYBODY in the UK lives in London, we're too stupid to think of using the rest of the country" - A webcomic author (from the Essex coast), shortly after the 7/7 bombings when somebody popped up on his forum going "Give us a sign!"