Capt Hurricane chew bars?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

STARBOY

Capt Hurricane chew bars?

Post by STARBOY »

I realise that in recent years a few of the Beano and Dandy characters have been used to sell food and sweets but I was no aware of the Capt Hurricane Chew bars (see link below) has anyone else seen (tasted) these? are there any other similar items using characters like this from the 60s -70s?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5283/536 ... 321b_z.jpg

Digifiend

Re: Capt Hurricane chew bars?

Post by Digifiend »

Only ones that come to mind are Roy of the Rovers and Desperate Dan.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I can vaguely remember having Dennis the Menace breakfast cereal in the late 90s. But im sure back then they had a lot more cereals based on licensed characters than they do nowadays.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That was probably as tie-in to the 1996 cartoon.

Hmm, if we're not just talking about chew bars...

There's currently a Dennis and Gnasher cake mix available.
I think some Beano and Dandy characters used to have a crisps range (Minnie as tomato flavour[?], Bully Beef obviously being roast beef, etc).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Fab Ice lolly that is still available was, I'm pretty sure, created in the 60s as a tie-in to the Thunderbirds tv series - certainly it was advertised by Lady Penelope and no doubt someone can dig out an advert from a late 60s comic. Lady Penelope had her own strip in the first 52 issues of TV21 and then got her own comic so there is a comic connection.

Never mind I googled it and found this:

Looks like the ad was drawn by Frank Langford who drew Lady P in her comic.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Wikipedia wrote:Designed primarily for the 3 million girls in Britain aged 5-15, the Fab was based around Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds TV series. Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce number plate was FAB 1.
I have to say designing food for a particular gender seems pretty odd to me.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:Only ones that come to mind are Roy of the Rovers and Desperate Dan.
There was also a Dennis The Menace bar (which was horrible) and a Buster bar (toffee and licorice flavour - delicious!)

Sadly, McCowan's, who made all of the above, ceased trading last week. Bad news for fans of chew bars, excellent news for kids with fillings.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Oh wasn't aware of the Buster bar was that from the 60s / 70s? Yeah sad McGowans has ceased trading there was hope a buyer had been found but they puled out at the
11th hour (and they sell 11 million chew bars a year how cant that be profitable?)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Damn it, why was it not on the news? I didn't know the McGowan's buyer had pulled out, else I'd have updated the thread I made about it. RIP Highland Toffee. RIP Wham Bars. :(

STARBOY, I don't think they'd increased the prices in years - and they were always on sale at Home Bargains, which doesn't charge full price. They were probably making a loss.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Not quite related but there used to be a chewing gum gobstopper called Jawbreaker that I think was advertised with comic strips. However the wierd looking mascot (a boy with a really long mouth and a "rounded" bit at the end where he was presumably eating one / it had swollen up from a broken jaw) could seemingly only be drawn at one angle and so scuttled sideways like a crab.
Anyway, once we went to the shop in another village about 5 miles away, which was like another planet. That shop sold all sorts of wierd stuff like American magazines and comics, very unusual for the mid 90's! My brother got some sort of Jawbreaker special pack thing that had a small comic strip where the teacher confiscates the gum from the boy, then eats it himself and, er, explodes?

The best sweet adverts in comics were the ones that were a full-page strip in themselves, it was like a page hadn't been "wasted". The Cheese Strings ones in the Beano, for instance.

It went a bit far in Battle Action Force / Eagle and Tiger though, when the "proper" stories turned into stupid adverts.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well the former Battle Picture Weekly had pretty much become a sell out to licensing by that point, as the Action Force in Battle Action Force was advertising a toyline.

I remember Jawbreaker. Never liked them though.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The Buster bar came out in 1985 or 1986, as I recall. It featured Tom Paterson's Buster and Sqworm on its (yellow?) wrapper.

I think McCowan (note spelling) made the Buster bar, but I couldn't be sure.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Wasn't there Beano/Dandy candy cigerettes (imagine the outcry if those were on the shelves today) in the 80's? You got them in a little cardboard box and it came with a collectable card.

This is the bit were Digifiend points out we discussed Beano/Dandy candy cigs 2 years ago and the I'm a bad person for not using the search. :P

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember a full page ad advertising Anglo Ace bubble gum in comic strip form. I often see it when flicking through old comics. Had a sci-fi look to it. I remember putting my Beano crisp wrapper on here a couple of years back so we may have covered this topic before.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

There were sweets featuring IPC's sweet-guzzling character Sweet Tooth in the early 80s (I've posted these images before on another thread about free gifts).