Issue 1

From the ashes of the DFC rises... the Phoenix.

Moderator: AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Issue 1

Post by felneymike »

Oh OK. I think only Cambridge WH Smith sell it around here. Even Tesco stopped a while ago. It must be "patchy" like Classics used to be.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I tried to get it this morning, first at Waitrose in Putney High Street, then in WH Smiths in the same street. I then called in at 30th Century Comics on the offchance. None of the buyers in these shops had even heard of The Phoenix, let alone acquired any for their respective shops. This afternoon, when I got back to Liverpool, I tried Worlds Apart. Same story, although they did point out that they never receive any comic deliveries on Saturdays or Mondays, and suggested that I ring them tomorrow and/or Wednesday, when they get one major delivery (Diamond I think), and if necessary on Thursday and/or Friday because they get a second delivery on one or other of those days, it varies apparently. Perhaps in the end even I will have to subscribe!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:I tried to get it this morning, first at Waitrose in Putney High Street, then in WH Smiths in the same street. I then called in at 30th Century Comics on the offchance. None of the buyers in these shops had even heard of The Phoenix, let alone acquired any for their respective shops. This afternoon, when I got back to Liverpool, I tried Worlds Apart. Same story, although they did point out that they never receive any comic deliveries on Saturdays or Mondays, and suggested that I ring them tomorrow and/or Wednesday, when they get one major delivery (Diamond I think), and if necessary on Thursday and/or Friday because they get a second delivery on one or other of those days, it varies apparently. Perhaps in the end even I will have to subscribe!

For someone who's usually so thorough with his research I would have thought you'd have already known by now that The Phoenix is not available in WH Smith or any comic shop. The only retailer taking it so far is Waitrose, and from reports it sounds that not all their branches have it either.

Save your money on that phone call tomorrow. The Phoenix was not offered through Diamond. (I buy the catalogue every month.) Worlds Apart won't be getting the comic.

Subscriptions, starting from £10 for 5 issues, is the best way to go. The option of starting from issue 1 is still available.

Anyway, that's enough of me promoting the competition. I'd like to point out that other comics are also available, and from newsagents. Dandy, Beano, Toxic.... :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Lew Stringer wrote:With the attitudes of retail giants these days, and the general indifference of the public towards comics, starting small seems to be the best option now.
This seems to be the way of niche magazine publishing these days. Children's magazine Anorak, punk & metal magazine Big Cheese and melodic rock mag Fireworks are examples of publications that began life with small circulations in selected retailers that are now carried in WH Smith. (Heck, Viz started out that way!) There are many more. Hopefully Strip & The Phoenix will follow suit.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:For someone who's usually so thorough with his research I would have thought you'd have already known by now that The Phoenix is not available in WH Smith or any comic shop. The only retailer taking it so far is Waitrose, and from reports it sounds that not all their branches have it either.
I may well not have been as thorough as usual but, given the advertising that the company posted on line, in particular the countdown, which followed issue 0, and its link to Waitrose, I did make the reasonable assumption that I would be able to buy my copy in Waitrose, which was my first port of call in Putney this lunchtime. I was amazed that the shop assistant hadn't heard of it so I asked to speak to the buyer, who made a thorough check of the company's system and discovered that it wasn't available in any Waitrose store. As he pointed out, if the title had shown on the system, he would have been able to order it for me. Only then did I wonder whether I had somehow misunderstood the distribution information that I had previously read, which in turn led me to WH Smiths and Worlds Apart. I have now taken out a modest subscription so that I can have a good look at it. I can always increase the subscription if I like the comic.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Phoenix wrote:I was amazed that the shop assistant hadn't heard of it so I asked to speak to the buyer, who made a thorough check of the company's system and discovered that it wasn't available in any Waitrose store. As he pointed out, if the title had shown on the system, he would have been able to order it for me.
Interesting. Has anyone seen a copy in any branch of Waitrose?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...I've never even seen a branch of Waitrose! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:...I've never even seen a branch of Waitrose!
This does raise an important issue for potential purchasers up here in the frozen north because Waitrose appears to be predominant in the south of England. Out of curiosity I looked them up in the Business Listings of the current Liverpool BT directory. They should have an entry between WAGS, a washing and grooming service for all breeds of dogs, in case you were wondering, and a firm called Wakefield Inspection Services, which is situated close to the centre of Liverpool. There isn't one. Tesco's stores are listed as are Morrisons'. As far as I can tell, from a quick Google, Waitrose have a store in Southport and one in Formby. It would take me about half an hour to drive to either from my house. There is also one in Prenton, which is a good 45 minutes away, and I would also incur costs of £1.50 each way to go through the Mersey tunnel.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Ironic that someone using the alias Phoenix would be the one to uncover that The Phoenix isn't even on Waitrose's system. I think they ought to send you a free issue or two Derek for your detective work.

There's no Waitrose branch around this part of the Midlands either. I presume they went with Waitrose because the deal was cheaper than going with Smiths, Tesco, Asda etc. but I'm just guessing.

From photos of the launch party I notice the reps from Waitrose were there (taking advantage of the free cakes too perhaps). And what does The Phoenix get in return? No comics in the posh shops.

They should have gone with Kwik Save. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Strange to report, until recently we, here in the heart of nobland, didn't even have one Waitrose. Now we have two (or possibly one and a half, since one - the more convenient one - is a "Little Waitrose"). This thread has piqued my interest, and since people seem to be having trouble finding a Waitrose, let alone a copy of the Phoenix within, I intend to call into both on my way home this evening. I'll post an update later (assuming I don't forget).
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

swirlythingy wrote:Strange to report, until recently we, here in the heart of nobland, didn't even have one Waitrose. Now we have two (or possibly one and a half, since one - the more convenient one - is a "Little Waitrose").
I was in your town on Sunday. I went to see Dick Whittington in the New Wimbledon Theatre with my elder son, his partner, who had bought the ticket for me as a Christmas present, and six children, including my 13-week-old granddaughter. I went with some trepidation but actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Going to a Waitrose store wasn't really an option unfortunately.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Visited my local Waitrose on Saturday and Customer Service desk looked puzzled initially but then said, "oh yes! we haven't got it yet, but should be here Tuesday".

haven't had a chance to look but will report back....

DaveWhit.

Post by DaveWhit. »

Re: availability of The Phoenix at Waitrose. On 7th December I emailed 'The Editor' on the Phoenix website to ask him/her which shops would be carrying the new comic.
I never received a reply, not even one that said 'we don't know at present'. I held out for a couple of weeks, but then decided I'd better subscribe, just in case Waitrose wasn't one of the selected outlets after all.

I had always assumed that Waitrose was one of the shops that would carry it since they had been involved with the promotion of issue zero in their Waitrose newspaper, but details remained a little too vague for my liking.

On Jan 7th I picked up the Saturday edition of the Times - the one with the eight page Phoenix pull-out - and noticed that on the the bottom of page 8 it states that 'individual issues can be bought in UK Waitrose stores'.

It does seem a bit puzzling that so far (apparently) no Waitrose personnel seem to know of this comic's existence, or that when asked, no copies are on order. This will be quite a disappointment to all those potential readers who are actively looking for the comic, not to mention a bit of a PR failure by the people whose job it is to market this comic.

I think the Phoenix is superb and will be subscribing to it for as long as it is published, as I think we all need to encourage new British comics, especially one of such quality as this one. but how many actual kids will just give up nagging their parents to subscribe if they don't actually get to see a copy in the first place?

I'm hopeful that the Waitrose connection will be established soon, but someone needs to update the Phoenix website ...and Waitrose with information soon.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Lew Stringer wrote:Ironic that someone using the alias Phoenix would be the one to uncover that The Phoenix isn't even on Waitrose's system. I think they ought to send you a free issue or two Derek for your detective work.

There's no Waitrose branch around this part of the Midlands either. I presume they went with Waitrose because the deal was cheaper than going with Smiths, Tesco, Asda etc. but I'm just guessing.

From photos of the launch party I notice the reps from Waitrose were there (taking advantage of the free cakes too perhaps). And what does The Phoenix get in return? No comics in the posh shops.

They should have gone with Kwik Save. :lol:
We haven't got it in Chichester yet it seems... They said it should be in tomorrow though!

Forget Waitrose - they should've had it exclusive to Poundland! At least then we'd all get it for much cheaper! :lol: (no prizes on guessing the price either!) :wink:
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Well, I went to the big and inconvenient Waitrose by the railway depot and had a good look inside. Unsurprisingly, no Phoenix. *

Then I spoke to a customer service man whose desk was right by the magazine rack, who hadn't heard of the comic, and failed just as comprehensively as I had to find a copy in the immediate vicinity. He then phoned up the other Waitrose, who also replied in the negative.

He then said that he would write a memo to the head office and inform me of the reply, although since I never go into that shop I asked him to email it to me instead.

More news if it arrives...

* I refer of course to the comic in the title of this forum and not to the esteemed poster above, who I assume was able to source somewhat more satisfactory accommodation during his recent trip to our overprivileged city.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!