Tommorrows launch of new magazine

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Pulp Detective

Tommorrows launch of new magazine

Post by Pulp Detective »

Grab yourself a copy of the new magazine 'Pulp Detective' tommorrow in W H Smiths and independant news agents.

www.pulpdetective.com

Marionette

Re: Tommorrows launch of new magazine

Post by Marionette »

Looking at the website, I find the cover (assuming that's the cover image on display) is very brightly lit for the subject matter. I'd expect something a bit more noir-ish, with looming shadows after throwing out time on a Saturday night, rather than this brightly lit Sunday afternoon. Maybe go for the style used in the original pulps; perhaps a retro pastiche with some modern elements.

I did look on the website for more information, but it seems a bit thin. Maybe include the opening pages of a story to get people interested to encourage them to hand over their cash?

Also, and I realise I'm well outside the target audience, being neither male nor a teenager, but even I'm thinking "What, no ebook edition?"
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You don't need to create a new thread you know, there was two already, one of them which you started.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Saw it this afternoon in WH Smith's, where they'd cleared out a whole bunch of Commandos to make room (they really are giving it a big push!). While it's nice to see a genuine revival of the pulp tradition, however, I do agree with Mari that it all seems a bit too bright and glossy for the subject matter. Personally I'd have preferred a look that was more in keeping with Jim Steranko's Chandler, or Denis McCloughlin's classic paperback covers - maybe even some moody black & white illustrations on cheap (pulp) paper?

Still, not a bad effort for a first issue!

- Phil Rushton

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Hi Marionette, Thanks very much for your constructive comments. The website you are completely correct, more information does need to be added. I like the idea of giving the audience snippets of the story, thanks. Obviously money is a real issue as I’m essentially a 'one man band' with no funding so when more is available this can be spent on improving our website.

The eBook decision is due to lack of funding at present,and we are not convinced with the illustrations that it would work well as a eBook. We had a certain amount to spend and thought best to focus our money elsewhere. However if Pulp Detective is a success this is definitely something we will be looking to set up.

The front cover of Pulp Detective is obviously the first thing our audience will see. We love the orginal Pulps thus being our inspiration to start the magazine, my vision was to create a front cover to target the new generation. We did not want it to mimic the old pulp style we wanted a fresh approach. Its very trial and error so we will not know whether this was the correct decision or not.

Thanks again for your comments.

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Hi Phil, great to hear about W H Smiths giving Pulp Detective a real push. We appreciate your comments. The reason we have used different quality of paper rather than pulp is due to the fact we wanted a magazine that people can pass on to others and keep ( like a book) rather than throwing away. We are trying to appeal to a new generation, whether this will work or not only time will tell.

Thanks again

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

no sign of it at the 3 WH Smith's at Waterloo station this AM, will look again this PM
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A very effective cover, Pulp---good choice, and good luck!

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Thanks for everyone's support of our new magazine!

Feedback would be great, both positive and negative, helping us build and develop this magazine if it is to be a success.

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Also Richard so far with issue 1 its not every W H Smiths, we have 277 stores and 1800 news agents. Try our store locator in www.pulpdetective.com for your nearest one.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I'll have a look for the mag. but the address in Falkirk for The Wishing Well is wrong as they moved round the corner a while ago. There is a WHS in town but it isn't one of your stockists. On the comments re. the cover, I am looking at a couple of original pulps and their covers are much darker with more going on. The Pulp Detective one doesn't appeal to me as the most inviting cover but I suppose it's the story that's more important.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

paw broon wrote: The Pulp Detective one doesn't appeal to me as the most inviting cover but I suppose it's the story that's more important.
No, it's not. Nobody is going to take a flyer on a new magazine if they don't like the cover. Conversely, if the cover is intriguing, they may pick it up to find out what's inside. It's the biggest point of sale advertisement for the magazine.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

django

Post by django »

No luck here, my local Smiths didn't have it nor did my local Spar (which should have had it according to the website), never mind, only launched today, perhaps they'll have it at the weekend!.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

"No, it's not. Nobody is going to take a flyer on a new magazine if they don't like the cover. Conversely, if the cover is intriguing, they may pick it up to find out what's inside. It's the biggest point of sale advertisement for the magazine."Marionette

Yes, you're right. But as I'm going to buy it anyway, I hope the stories and writing are more dynamic than the cover. Well, I'll buy it if I can find it. I have a feeling I'll have to hunt it down.

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

django - Can you please tell me what your local spa is called so I can get on to the distributor to sort out this problem please?

Thank you