Tommorrows launch of new magazine

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Pulp Detective

Re: Tommorrows launch of new magazine

Post by Pulp Detective »

Thanks so much for all this information being sent. Spoken to distribuiton this morning and hopefully getting this sorted ASAP. I have emailed your message straight to him, so thanks Spencer.

Although its a shame some newsagents have not even given us a chance when they had 42 days to sell it!!!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I bought what seemed to be the only copy in The Wishing Well in Falkirk today. First impressions are that I like the digest size format but the illustrations and cover are a bit too cartoony for my taste and the pinup Clarice is pretty poor. There is a slight Belgian feel to the illustrations but I'm not sure that is what a noirish, pulp mag needs. By the way, in the first story, and I've only read a few pages, the description of the pair running in the alleys, in the rain, is a bit odd. The author notes that the illumination form the moon is negated by the smog. It's pouring down. Seemed a bit off there.
Thanks for getting the issue out.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Also from a purely technical standpoint a lot of the cars in the illustrations looked about 10 years newer than 1932, but I love leadsleds so can let it go XD

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I went into my local newsagent. The lady said they'd had it - 3 copies - but all had sold.
She said she'd see if she can get me a copy, and I'll report back on what happens.

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Brilliant thanks for letting us know. Hopefully the newsagent can get one in for you. Please can you let me know what shop it is. Thank you

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Also thanks very much to everyone for putting comments on about the magazine, both positive and constructive. These are all being taken on board whilst completing issue 2 and 3.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I did a post about it on my blog here:
http://blog.crystal-knights.co.uk/2012/ ... detective/
The introduction to the post really did happen, I wonder how long it will be before I see my copy of Lynx Novel again? It might be going "Round the Horne" as we speak.

Pulp Detective

Post by Pulp Detective »

Fantastic blog thank you so much for taking your time to write this supporting pulp detective. It has been posted straight on to our facebook page and twitter page.

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I went back to my newsagent this morning. They had reordered, and had two
copies on the shelf. I bought one and moved the other to a more prominent position.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I found my copy of Steranko's Chandler paperback the other day so I thought I'd put a couple of scans here for those who have never seen it.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

On Facebook they said Pulp Detective was going to go digital-only next year. This keeps happening...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Could someone please tell me how many physical issues of Pulp Fiction were published. I only bought the first one.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Phoenix, do you mean, Pulp Detective? If so, I'm pretty sure #2 did not see the light of day. The publisher's site doesn't exist now and the last Twitter activity seems to be in 2012. Hopefully, if this is wrong, someone else can shed some light.
If you are asking about the Steranko book, Fiction Illustrated, I'm certain there were 4 issues, #3 being arguably the most famous and sought after as that is the Staranko one.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:Phoenix, do you mean, Pulp Detective?
Indeed I did, Paw. There seems to have been a serious malfunction somewhere between my brain and my typing finger, which is particularly troubling as I had issue one of Pulp Detective in my left hand just before typing the words Pulp Fiction. Thank you anyway for the information that you correctly assumed I was seeking.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
paw broon wrote:Phoenix, do you mean, Pulp Detective?
Indeed I did, Paw. There seems to have been a serious malfunction somewhere between my brain and my typing finger, which is particularly troubling as I had issue one of Pulp Detective in my left hand just before typing the words Pulp Fiction. Thank you anyway for the information that you correctly assumed I was seeking.
Yes, folded after only one issue unfortunately. Attitudes of retailers and distributors did it no favours. (A local shop told me they'd sent it straight back because it was too small for their shelves and might get stolen!) Wholesalers didn't distribute it as well as promised. It stood no chance.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/