The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

BeanoKev70 wrote:I think a merger would be ideal to advertise the digital dandy, increase the page count to 40 & have a couple of pages over to Digital Dandy characters even for 6 months nice free self advertising. But then again we are talking about the DCT marketing department here....
The same marketing department who didn't think it a good idea to advertise the Dandy in the Beano after the 2010 revamp? Yeah, they don't think all that logically, do they? By the time they did advertise in the Beano, it was too late, the shops were no longer stocking all those extra copies. :roll:

NP

Post by NP »

Ellis wrote:Any idea of how many pages its going to have, Nigel?
No, can't say I do- I know I've done at least eight pages, and I know others have done a few, so it does seem to be a bumper issue... I expect it to be a bit like that big Christmas 2010 one in page count, but I don't know anything yet. I've seen one cover design which was very striking, but that was months ago, so it could be different. So it looks like we'll all have to wait until December 1st when subscribers will get to see it. Better get back to drawing my pages in it, I suppose.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

It's sounding more and more great everyday! I really do hope it is like that Christmas 2010 issue. I am really curious now to see the cover, I wonder who's had the honour of drawing it. Well I suppose we've only got a few more weeks until we find out!

DandyEd

Post by DandyEd »

I can help with one of the details! The final tally is a nice, round, satisfying, working week-defying 100 pages. As for everything else...

...well, you'll have to wait, but I can promise that it is very special and that it's been a monster amount of work for us and our fabulous team of freelance contributors, including Nigel, of course.

Craig

PS Hi, Nigel!

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

That's great news, Craig! Thanks for letting us know! 100 pages, could the final issue of the Dandy also be the best issue EVER?!!!!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

100 pages this must include the 1st issue reprint.i think i may end up buying 2 issues. :)

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I'm strangely looking forward to the last print edition of The Dandy 100 pages hope they put a Korky strip on the front cover as it was on the first and only right that it should be on the last ever Dandy comic in print form....

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

Gilly, sorry it was something I knocked up for my save the Dandy page on Facebook. I'm looking forward to the 75th special but it will be mixed feelings for me as its the final print edition as well. :cry:

What ever happens I will continue to support any new Dandy digital or special print issues. Glad to see NP is doing so much for the final issue as he is my favourite current artist working on both the Beano & Dandy I just hope he can be given some new Bananaman strips for the Beano. :)

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Don't worry about it BeanoKev it's just a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

The final issue sounds brilliant though with 100 pages, I'm going to put my order in for it now over the internet.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Don't expect any visual spoilers.
http://www.nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogs ... g-era.html
NP wrote:I'm led to believe that D C Thomson no longer allow us to publish our own drawings which we've done for them on blogs so there will be no illustrated clues

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Well I've just preordered it online which I'm glad about as it means I'm definitely getting the final Dandy.

It sounds brilliant and a fitting send off to the UK's longest running comic, I don't know if I'm looking forward to reading it or not though.

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

I agree Gilly it really is mix feelings isn't it. It will be sorely missed from this household. I remember visiting my great grandad in Glasgow in the 70's all the way from Essex & finding his wardrobe stacked high with Beano's & Dandy's I was hooked from then. He also sent my Grandad copies every week with a Sunday Post when he was in the Navy right upto when he passed away. So both the Dandy & Beano have very personal memories for me.

Lets hope that in the future there may well be room for a relaunch if the Digital version does well, even if its a monthly publication....

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

I'm hoping I'll be able to find myself a copy of this! Working in a newsagents you'd think this'd be easy, but when we called the suppliers to order ten copies instead of our usual one (anticipating high demand), they told us that wouldn't be happening - we'll only be getting the one issue which is saved for the young lad who buys it every week.

Supply and demand, eh?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

As mentioned on Lew Stringer's blog, that is absolutely ridiculous. The retailers should be controlling their stock levels, not the suppliers. If a retailer asks for more copies, it's the suppliers job to make sure they get them. :x

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

News about the Dandy! Just found these online;

BBC News Scotland - "When life was just Dandy" Morris Heggie uses the 1960 Thunderbang!!!! (I've really wanted to use mine but fearful of damaging it! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20410575

STV News (ignoring the annoying compulsory advert at the start) - Exhibition at Scottish National Library
http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/201738-ex ... -to-print/

Has anyone gone to the exhibit yet? Bit too far for me but I'm thinking of heading down to the Cartoon Museum.

Adam