Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Whizzer and Chips - IPC's definitive comic.

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:
Who drew Pigwidgin
It looks a little like the work of John Richardson but I'm pretty sure it's not by him.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I thought I'd bump this up as I think I've finally got a complete list of the artist for the first issue of Whizzer and Chips. Here goes:

Me and My Shadow - Terry Bave
Odd Ball - Mike Lacey
Little Saver - Terry Bave
Kings of the Castle - Mike Western
Give A Dog A Bone - Graham Allen
Sid's Snake - Mike Lacey
Space School - Mike Higgs
Batty Bat - Reg Parlett
Angel Face and Dare Devil - Mike Lacey
Puddin' Tops - Terry Bave
Karate Kid - Terry Bave
Ginger's Tum - Terry Bave
Parker the Parky - Terry Bave
Harry's Haunted House - Reg Parlett
The Space Accident - John Armstrong
Hetty's Horoscope - Terry Bave
Wear 'Em Out Wilf - Mike Lacey
Willie Bunk - Frank McDiarmid
Aqua Lad - Terry Bave
Steadfast McStaunch - Denis Gifford
Hot Rod - Alf Saporito
The Mummy's Curse - Reg Parlett
The "Stealer" - Tom Kerr
Fred's Family Tree - Toni Goffe
Slowcoach - Mike Lacey
The Champ - Leo Baxendale
KooKoo Klub - Denis Gifford
Minnie's Mixer - Angel Nadal Quirch

I used to think Angel Face and Dare Devil was Norman Mansbridge, now I think it's Mike Lacey, however according to Kasgar it was Joe Lee.

This post also says Mario Capaldi drew Kings of the Castle, but I think it's Mike Western.
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I looked through the very early [late 1969] issues of this comic and I can confirm it's great stuff-----less formulaic than DCT's stuff from the same era, and more off-the-wall and 'experimental'.

Well worth delving into for the comic-book conniseur-----Terry Bave especially had a huge input into many of the early strips.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

The Space Accident is drawn by Ron Turner.

Kings of the castle isn't by Mike Western, could be Mike White.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, the King of the Castle style is not at all like Western's. Also, Batty Bat isn't Reg Parlett's. Joseph Lee, isn't it?

NP

Post by NP »

Space accident looks like Ron Turner.
Batty Bat does look like Joseph Lee.
Kings of the Castle- doesn't look as slick and confident as Mike Western. Could be early Mike White.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

NP wrote:Batty Bat does look like Joseph Lee.
I'm very surprised by that, it really looks like Reg's work to me.

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I looked through the very early [late 1969] issues of this comic and I can confirm it's great stuff-----less formulaic than DCT's stuff from the same era, and more off-the-wall and 'experimental'.

Well worth delving into for the comic-book conniseur-----Terry Bave especially had a huge input into many of the early strips.
Terry somehow managed to draw seven weekly strips in the first issues! His style wasn't as strong in the early Whizzer and Chips comics as it was towards the mid 80's though - he was still learning.
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes, George: although 'Hettys' Horroscope' was taken over by Les Barton after a phew weaks, [probably in tandem with his later I SPY strips for SPARKY, something I only discovered while looking through the early issues recently].....

Terry's earliest strip I can remember is SAMMY SHRINK which creeped me out a bit as a kid, that's how it captured my interest-------dunno if this was his earliest comics work, however.

Another two strips of his I found a bit repellent [but by no means bland, which is always to be preferred] was JIMMY JECKLE and MASTER HYDE, along with the early ME AND MY SHADOW.[/b]

Apologies for repeating this, by I was blown away by the ending to the first run: Smudger and Shadow collide after slipping on food at a Christmas [1970] party, and Shadow merges to become a normal, non-malevolent dark shape instead of a seperate mischevious entity.

The best ending to a series [it returned later, with no explanation apparantly as to how Shadow becomes independent again] in any 'funny' strip in my estimation---great stuff indeed.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I scanned that final Me and my Shadow on the Terry Bave's book topic in Artists and Writers if you want to see it.

Norman Mansbridge drew Wear 'em Out Wilf for a while but i'm pretty sure Mike Brown drew some of the early strips although i'm not sure about the first issue - will have to dig it out.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have my own copy of the Me and my Shadow strip where the two central characters 'merge', Steve---but thanks muchly for the sentiment.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Terry's earliest strip I can remember is SAMMY SHRINK which creeped me out a bit as a kid, that's how it captured my interest-------dunno if this was his earliest comics work, however.
Indeed it was - his first published comic strip was Sammy Shrink in Wham #151.

I generally like all his work, he has a very fun style! I'd actually forgotten about that ending to Me and My Shadow, a very good ending. It's always nice to see strips actually come to a conclusion instead of just ending.

Have you got a copy of Terry Bave's book 'Cartoons and Comic Strips' ISPYSHHHGUY? Terry talks a lot about his early drawings and shows his first Sammy Shrink strip. If you haven't got a copy you should definitely get one.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/terry-bave/car ... 25272.html

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I just clicked onthe above link for terry bave book & just want to know what lulu is that is the 1st time i have come across this site,is it a cheap knock off version of Amazon :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:I just clicked onthe above link for terry bave book & just want to know what lulu is that is the 1st time i have come across this site,is it a cheap knock off version of Amazon :lol:
No. Lulu is a print-on-demand publisher. Authors upload their files to them and Lulu prints off the books to order, taking their cut.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Lulu offer a print on demand service which allows people to self-publish their books.

Lew beat me to it!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

George Shiers wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Terry's earliest strip I can remember is SAMMY SHRINK which creeped me out a bit as a kid, that's how it captured my interest-------dunno if this was his earliest comics work, however.
Indeed it was - his first published comic strip was Sammy Shrink in Wham #151.

I generally like all his work, he has a very fun style! I'd actually forgotten about that ending to Me and My Shadow, a very good ending. It's always nice to see strips actually come to a conclusion instead of just ending.

Have you got a copy of Terry Bave's book 'Cartoons and Comic Strips' ISPYSHHHGUY? Terry talks a lot about his early drawings and shows his first Sammy Shrink strip. If you haven't got a copy you should definitely get one.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/terry-bave/car ... 25272.html
Georgie,, I have heard on more than one occassion that the Tezza compendium is an out-and-out winner, and I have no reason to doubt you.