Comics UK Comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: Comics UK Comic?

Post by starscape »

Shall do AndyB (plus if anyone knows anyone...).

DavidKW: they sound more like Viz characters to me. Try to figure out whether a child would be interested in it. The latter sounds a little like Spoofer McGraw, which is great. So nearly there but not quite. A know-it-all kid perhaps but a 7 year old wouldn't care about student politics. Maybe room for an Ivor Lott/Tony Broke style in there?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sainsbury's seem to think kids would be interested in Viz - it was on the bottom shelf in my local branch! *shakes head*

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Hmm, I will say that in adult form both my characters would fit Viz, though the concept of know-it-all in child form would fit. There have been many kids who also point fingers and preach what people should do with their lives.

I remember Spoofer McGraw - readers would get 50p (a lot in those days) for suggesting ideas for his exaggerations (such as elephants flying) whic his duffle-coated mate Bo would listen to.

Am a bit surprised the has-been soap star concept has not been picked up by Viz.

Speaking of students, I think Viz needs to update its Student Grant character- many today are foppish rich and spoilt think they know it alls, who flash their expensive gear about (top targets for muggers) who have no manners or consideration for others ie like getting on a bus and ringing bell for next stop, annoying the hard workers on bus.

musiquetom

Post by musiquetom »

nice , thanks for u sahring it

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

DavidKW wrote:Speaking of students, I think Viz needs to update its Student Grant character- many today are foppish rich and spoilt think they know it alls, who flash their expensive gear about (top targets for muggers) who have no manners or consideration for others ie like getting on a bus and ringing bell for next stop, annoying the hard workers on bus.
Who didn't think that they knew everything when they were young? Who didn't feel superior when regarding the wage slaves on the morning bus? In fact, I guess they're only reflecting your resentment back at you - that's how prejudice works.

And…how can ringing the bell on a bus annoy anyone? :D

More pertinently - why are most of the character ideas on here just lazy reactionary stereotypes? It's like listening to my grandad, and 'it's like listening to your grandad' is not a good way to pitch a new kids' comic...unless your trying to tap Richard Desmond for investment.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Maybe it would be a better idea to pitch for a slightly older target audience than the Beano or Dandy? I'm not suggesting entering 'Viz' territory - but I think aiming at a demographic of, say, 8-13 year olds could allow longer stories and more character development than in a comic for 7-11 year olds.

I like the idea of developing of a new comic, although unfortunately I'm likely to be too busy to be able regularly contribute stories or artwork. However, if I have any decent ideas for characters or strips then I'll post them on here.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I'm a bit misunderstood here:

1) What I'm saying about students and buses are that so many get on then get off at next stop when they've got feet and could've walked (try bussing it down Oxford Road manchester in term-time when you're in a hurry - it'll make you irate!).

I'm just also saying Viz's still existing Student Grant/Stereotype is outdated to how I & others have seen them.

2) The know-it-all I've based character on is not exactly young - he's currently 46 years! I've not seen him for 6 years nor do I want to again - he has made contact a few times but can't accept that people change & move on - everyone has to be the assumption label he has of them & only sees what he wants to see in people (has a blinkered view) & not listen to life's harsh realities (and he hangs out with students a lot).

With hindsight is a bit too disturbing a character for a kid's comic and would character would not work in a child form. Be better written as a tv sitcom instead.
Sorry think I caused a bit of a tangent there- if I think of anything better I'll let yous know.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

DavidKW wrote:I'm a bit misunderstood here:

1) What I'm saying about students and buses are that so many get on then get off at next stop when they've got feet and could've walked (try bussing it down Oxford Road manchester in term-time when you're in a hurry - it'll make you irate!).
I think perhaps when you are stressing over people using a service entirely legally, you need to cut down on the coffee or something. Either that or get elected dictator so you can make single stop journeys a hanging offence.

Hmm, now there's an idea for a strip for you...
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Mind you, I was talking about a time when I lived in Stockport 10 years ago, not sleeping enough, stressed from the job I was in and always rushing around trying too hard to please everyone socially and trying to do too much & do it alone.

Thankfully those days gone, live & work in a better place now; lived & learned.

The old me & lifestyle might make a good stressed Eric-styled strip but it could never be funny!

Hard Truths

Post by Hard Truths »

These are terrible ideas for kids comic strips.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Was bumping this thread really necessary just to say that? The last post was 16 months ago!