What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
chrisb wrote:I'm pretty sure all the Billy's Boots in ROTR were original.
The one shown above carries the caption "Classic story action" and "Blast from the past" so presumably it's a reprint.
You may find it's a reprint from the early years of ROTR.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I bought the Big Comic Fortnightly Holiday Special off ebay. I'm unsure of the year, but I do notice that it doesn't feature on the cover gallery on this website. Here's the image from the auction:
$_1.JPG
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

So Frankie lives on...drawn by Terry Bave

loved Big comic!!

paul p

Post by paul p »

George Shiers wrote:I bought the Big Comic Fortnightly Holiday Special off ebay. I'm unsure of the year, but I do notice that it doesn't feature on the cover gallery on this website. Here's the image from the auction:
$_1.JPG
I believe its from 1994

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

colcool007 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
chrisb wrote:I'm pretty sure all the Billy's Boots in ROTR were original.
The one shown above carries the caption "Classic story action" and "Blast from the past" so presumably it's a reprint.
You may find it's a reprint from the early years of ROTR.

Billys boots left eagle ages before its demise so im sure it was way before 1992 if battle ended in 85 bb prob only spent a year in eagle so i think transferred to rotr in 86 i will have to check though as i may be wrong.
Edit: just checked wikipedia & billy did indeed transfer in 86 with new stories until may 1990 when it went reprint.but wiki is well known for its true facts :lol: so i will check my eagle & rotr collections when i get a bit of time.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I notice that the special I showed above has been added to the cover gallery! :) When it arrives I'll upload a higher quality scan.
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Got complete year Roy of the rovers 1988,only another 133 to go.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I know it's a bit late - only just got around to writing - but last Saturday I went to Manchester Comic Fair and after usually getting a trickle from there I got a deluge:

7 Misty comics from 1978
8 Misty from 1979
2 Sally from 1970
1 Princess Tina from 1970
1979 & 1983 Misty annuals
1969 Beryl The Peril annual

Bring on the girls day...

On Sunday I visited Stockport's Monthly vintage village & got:

First ever Beezer annual (fair condition for a fiver)
1981 Beryl The Peryl & Minnie The Minx annual.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

big bad bri
just checked wikipedia & billy did indeed transfer in 86 with new stories until may 1990 when it went reprint.but wiki is well known for its true facts :lol: so i will check my eagle & rotr collections when i get a bit of time.
Yes the last Billy's Boots appearance as new stories was in Issue 12th May 1990. Then resurrected again as reprints in the February 29th 1992 issue, Billy's Boots wasn't in ROTR between those dates as reprints.

Then made

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

[/quote]

Yes the last Billy's Boots appearance as new stories was in Issue 12th May 1990. Then resurrected again as reprints in the February 29th 1992 issue, Billy's Boots wasn't in ROTR between those dates as reprints.

[/quote]

I also checked earlier those 2 comics but in the 12th may 90 issue it said billy's boots along with goalkeeper & hamish & mouse would continue with new adventures in ROTR monthly although Hamish & mouse did return to the weekly a SHORT WHILE LATER, but i don't have any monthlies to confirm this.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I saw that mentioned about Billy's Boots being in the monthly it's odd though because ROTR Monthly didn't start until September 1993 and ended in March 1995,(Unless their was another monthly?) I have 15 of the 19 Monthly Issues.
Maybe they were going to stop the weekly earlier but decided to continued until 1993.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

The monthly you mention steelclaw was all new i think focusing on roy's son as i have the 1st 9 or 10 of those but there was an earlier monthly in the same vein as best of buster ,whoopee monthly etc but i thought that was all reprint unless they went half reprint & half new stories half way through its run.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Cheers big bad bri you jogged my memory, I've just had a look and I have a few of those earlier monthlies.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

This is the first I have October 1990 with Billy's Boots in I don't know if it's a reprint or not.

While I was looking I found this other Best Of ROTR monthly 58 pages of The Marks Brothers, I didn't know I had this.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I acquired seventy-one issues of NIKKI in absolutely mint condition for £25. I won them in an eBay auction on Thursday. The p&p would have been £20, but as the seller couldn't post them, due to his work commitments, until Monday, and I won't be in to receive them on Tuesday or Wednesday, we made arrangements to meet up in Starbucks on Leeds railway station. The cheap day return from Liverpool Lime Street was £19.65. I bid because I needed twenty-seven of the issues in the advertised lot. I now only need five for the full run, and I'm 35p in pocket, as well as having forty-four mint issues to sell on eBay, when I get round to it!!! :) He was a nice guy, and it was a good day.