What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

The Lewis Carroll Phantasmagoria was produced in comic book form with other works not actually comic strip but still as poems with original drawings.I have these three
examples of the inside

Only this from charity shops today_____

2000AD 25apr 92 with free security clearance wallet 50p
Last edited by abacus on 01 Oct 2015, 08:29, edited 3 times in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Incidentally you can view the whole of Phantasmagoria - along with Arthur Frost's illustrations - via Project Gutenberg, as it is well out of copyright. At times it's hard not to think of Ken Reid when looking at the absurd ghosts featured in the title poem!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/651/651-h/651-h.htm

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for the link. Excellent illos. Mind you, lots of material on PG is not pd, but they seem to get away with it, unlike some other sites who are, perhaps, easier to get at and have access denied by Sky, Virgin and other broadband suppliers. Odd, isn't it?

dishes

Post by dishes »

paw broon wrote:Thanks for the link. Excellent illos. Mind you, lots of material on PG is not pd, but they seem to get away with it, unlike some other sites who are, perhaps, easier to get at and have access denied by Sky, Virgin and other broadband suppliers. Odd, isn't it?
Really? I assumed they were quite strict about only providing public domain material. I did once notice a book on there that was still in copyright - it was listed under an incorrect date - but I assumed that this was an isolated instance. (And I didn't want to be the one to cause its removal or get anyone in trouble!)
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Sorry dishes, I think I have conflated PG and Internet Archive, although the 2 are connected as you will see on this link under the "NEWS" heading in inch or two down the page.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have had to select this next image very carefully, but I reckon the censors should let this one slip through:

LITTLE ANNIE FANNY Vols 1 and 2

Whatever you make of the sexist approach, the quality of the artwork in this 20-odd year Playboy magazine compendium is very high by any standards, the early panels were done in the 60s and the results are just as accomplished, skilful and impressive as the digital splendour we take for granted today.

I am not especially a fan of the brash American 'humour' but the skill of Bill Elders' lush cartoon work is an absolute joy.

Anyone who appreciates high-quality cartoon artwork should relish this.

Sort of like a sexist MAD.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 29 Aug 2015, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Little Annie was in the Marilyn Monroe , Jayne Mansfield tradition of the time the comic strip never went beyond the bounds of the saucy english postcard acceptable humour,with nothing really to offend the majority of people although it takes very little to make some people reach for the high moral ground.Not as vulgar as the Viz Fat Slags( which I also enjoyed)but which I could see offending more people.
Last edited by abacus on 10 Sep 2015, 15:49, edited 11 times in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Glad to hear you appreciate this, Abacus!

Yes the concept is exploiting womens' bodies, but aren't GUYS also getting exploited by the publishing industry/seedy clubs/ whatever/ for forking out plenty for this stuff?

The whole lot, women and men, are getting exploited, one way or another, I reckon!

Back to this strip though: now I have had a good look through this material, beyond the endless nudity [with well-chosen angles in order to avoid obscenity laws] this is a pretty sharp satire on American culture, with many cameos from contemporary real-life people like Henry Kissinger and the Beatles turning up in very good caricature form.

[There is a handy index at the back, pinpointing some of the now-obscure public figures.

Folks like Arnold Schwarzenneger are easily-identified, obviously.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Great carboot today run by RSPCA
got the following-----
TV FUN ANNUAL 1958 one I wanted already have 1959/60 annuals
CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED HOW I FOUND LIVINGSTONE
ACG ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN No 118 1960
ASTOUNDING STORIES british edition
ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN british edition
MR DISTRICT ATTORNEY No17 british edition
Dell Nathaniel Hawthornes TWICE TOLD TALES 1964
Dell BAT MASTERSON 1960
Charlton GHOSTLY TALES No100 1972
Chalton GHOSTS OF DOCTOR GRAVES No38 1973
ESSO POP preventon of pollution manual for service stations with cartoons by David Langdon

All from the same seller.The comics were priced at £2.50p each with various prices for the annuals
He said he would do a deal for more than one comic , Instead of waiting for his offer I offered him £12 for the lot
which he agreed to.
After parting with that amount I need to recover :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Nasty Tales No.1 arrived yesterday, which cheered me up a bit.

Also another package from Canada, which contained Trim #1-#3, JB's Last Bits Comix, Goofy Funnies #8, Clam Juice #2 and Okay Comic #1. Made for a fun hour's reading :D
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Bought and read a collection of the new Batgirl comic, with her new costume, which was making an internet splash when it debuted. Very nice stuff actually, and very readable! Some moderately predictable elements to the plot itself, but really well told and gripping.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Just arrived in the mail this morning...

the Beezer Summer Special, 1988

Also arriving today were the issues of Sparky that Alan sent on to me (Nos. 12 and 68)

And as there was another delivery at the post office, anything that has arrived for me, will be picked up on Wednesdays' mail pick up.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

At the ephemera fair yesterday I picked up about 24 Alan Class Creepy Worlds and Out of this World reprints for a fiver each. They were all in almost new condition and all but three were pre decimal. The other three were 15p and 20p so early seventies. Among them was the Black Magic Album number 1 - about 130 pages. I'll put a scan of that on the loading bay and hope it gets accepted. Do they count as British comics for the gallery?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

My lcs came up with a small pile of Archie digests, so I bought the lot. Good fun, light reads and an interesting contrast to the "serious" Archie Afterlife and "new" Archie comic. I also bought the Gold Key Secret Agent #1 - the comic adaptation of Danger Man. The comic has a McGoohan picture cover and the story's not bad.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here is the Black Magic Album. The back cover advertises number 2 but was it ever published?