What Comics Do You Get Regularly

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

What Comics Do You Get Regularly

Post by SID »

Now we have threads on what specific comics that you have bought (or not bought) but does everyone get particular comics regularly be it by going into your shop each month, having a standing order with your shop or by subscription?

Or is there a comic(s) you are planning to get regularly?

In my case, I do have a number of comics on subscription:

2000AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
Spaceship Away
Commando
Meanwhile
Doctor Who Comic
Wolverine & Deadpool

Up to Christmas, I did get Doctor Who Magazine and Astonishing Spider-man but decided not to renew their subscriptions.

However I am looking to replacing them with Tales of the TARDIS and The Incredible Hulks.

I do have a question about Tales from the TARDIS. Is it a new on-going monthly or, as Titan's website indicates, it is a series of specials (you cannot subscribe to it for example)?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

comixminx

Re: What Comics Do You Get Regularly

Post by comixminx »

I don't have any standing orders nowadays (budget constraints, but also we were without a comics shop locally for a number of years and I got out of the habit). I am trying to get hold of Red Thorn but the new comics shop hasn't got me a copy yet.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tales from the TARDIS seems to be a new monthly. Issue 1 has a Twelfth Doctor one-off and two-parts of the Ninth Doctor's mini-series. Issue 2 (which is 100 pages) is presumably two issues each of 10th and 9th Doctors. That leaves one more part for the Ninth Doctor and three for the Tenth to finish their current storylines, so at least a third issue needed.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:Tales from the TARDIS seems to be a new monthly. Issue 1 has a Twelfth Doctor one-off and two-parts of the Ninth Doctor's mini-series. Issue 2 (which is 100 pages) is presumably two issues each of 10th and 9th Doctors. That leaves one more part for the Ninth Doctor and three for the Tenth to finish their current storylines, so at least a third issue needed.
Thanks, Digi. I hope it is as I do like it.

:xfingers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i get
Beano every week on subscription but gonna cancel as its always bent and/or torn somewhere
Viz
Amazing spiderman
Deadpool but only gonna buy it until the comic story variant covers end
want to start 2000ad again and may end up collecting daredevil and uncanny xmen again after getting iss 1 but just rejoined gym so they may have to suffer
I may get the first 3 issues of johnny red though when i go to forbidden planet next week.
Last edited by big bad bri on 11 Jan 2016, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

The 5 issues of Surface Tension was the only subscription I've had since childhood!

SID

Post by SID »

Read Surface Tension and thought it was good.

Would love for Deadpool to have his own comic especially as he has a film coming out. But sharing with Wolverine is better than nothing.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Ii meant i get the american deadpool comic and spiderman i don't buy the uk editions but i will prob buy the uk version when death of wolverine starts as it will be far cheaper than trying to track down the original issues.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:Ii meant i get the american deadpool comic and spiderman i don't buy the uk editions but i will prob buy the uk version when death of wolverine starts as it will be far cheaper than trying to track down the original issues.
Gotcha.

On a similar vein, if I really wanted Deadpool only comics, I would buy the original Marvel comic.

I have bought some of his graphic novels mind though have to be careful in case they reprinted in the Panini comic.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Beano,
2000AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
The Phoenix (since Smiths started stocking it)
Doctor Who Magazine
Doctor Who Adventures
Johnny Red
Spaceship Away
Toxic
Meanwhile
....a load of Panini and Titan comics and probably more others than I need.

Then there are various one-offs, graphic novels, and indies of course, which wouldn't come under "regular" frequency so aren't applicable to Sid's question. (And various US comics, but they don't apply to this thread either obviously.)

I must admit I thought there'd be more replies to Sid's question. Comics UK members DO support the current UK comics industry.... don't you? :?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

2000 AD. JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE: I have over 99 per cent of these collected works, with just 9 issues missing of Thargs' comic from 2015.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:...a load of Panini and Titan comics and probably more others than I need.
You always "need" your comics. ;)
Lew Stringer wrote:...and various US comics, but they don't apply to this thread either obviously.
When I created this thread, I was thinking more about UK comics but I can't see why you can't include comics from aboard.

I did forget Johnny Red which I bought all three issues so far.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

This is why i included the amazing Spiderman and Deadpool as the thread asked which comics do you get regularly but i knew it was more of a uk question anyway.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Aces Weekly too of course. Almost forgot that one!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Not many. Doctor Who Comic and, now, Tales from The Tardis are the only British ones and these two, despite being created by number of British creators, are reprints of American titles. I do order a few Archie digest comics every month from a local comic shop.
Apart from that I occasionally try an American title. For example, yesterday I picked up #1 of the new Rocketeer limited series.