Another Comics Query

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Another Comics Query

Post by colcool007 »

OK, here's one that sounds absolutely barking so any help is appreciated.
Trying to pin down the name of a strip from the late sixties, British, probably something like Lion or thunder or similar. Featured a character who lived in a pyramid shaped mansion, had a living mummy to carry out crimes and take out enemies. If I remember rightly the final episode had the character and the mummy disappearing over the Atlantic.
Let's see who can name this one?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

davidandrewsimpson

Re: Another Comics Query

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

That sounds like Dr Mesmer's Revenge, in which the titular bad guy had a mummy sidekick. The mummy was deactivated in the final episode, and was last seen in a plane headed for Egypt, the plane disappearing into a giant cloud, never to be seen again.

Donne Avenelle wrote and Carlos Cruz drew this series which ran in Lion And Thunder from 16th October 1971 to 21st October 1972.

My thanks to Steve Holland's book about Lion for most of the above.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:That sounds like Dr Mesmer's Revenge, in which the titular bad guy had a mummy sidekick. The mummy was deactivated in the final episode, and was last seen in a plane headed for Egypt, the plane disappearing into a giant cloud, never to be seen again.

Donne Avenelle wrote and Carlos Cruz drew this series which ran in Lion And Thunder from 16th October 1971 to 21st October 1972.

Thanks for that David. I have put it on Facebook in the Comic Nostalgia group and let's see if it's the story that our questor seeks.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:OK, here's one that sounds absolutely barking so any help is appreciated.
Trying to pin down the name of a strip from the late sixties, British, probably something like Lion or thunder or similar. Featured a character who lived in a pyramid shaped mansion, had a living mummy to carry out crimes and take out enemies. If I remember rightly the final episode had the character and the mummy disappearing over the Atlantic.
Let's see who can name this one?
Lew did a bit on Dr Mesmer's revenge a few years ago: http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... under.html

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:questor
I don't recognise this word questor, and perhaps more to the point, nor does my copy of The New Oxford Dictionary Of English. It does offer querist though so you could give that an airing, Col, at some appropriate future date.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:questor
I don't recognise this word questor, and perhaps more to the point, nor does my copy of The New Oxford Dictionary Of English. It does offer querist though so you could give that an airing, Col, at some appropriate future date.
Questor featured in the Wizard in the 1970s so that is good enough for me. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

colcool007 wrote:
davidandrewsimpson wrote:That sounds like Dr Mesmer's Revenge, in which the titular bad guy had a mummy sidekick. The mummy was deactivated in the final episode, and was last seen in a plane headed for Egypt, the plane disappearing into a giant cloud, never to be seen again.

Thanks for that David. I have put it on Facebook in the Comic Nostalgia group and let's see if it's the story that our questor seeks.
And thanks for that David. We have another happy customer. Jack is now off to see if he can find those issues on Ebay and any other sites that he can find.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On the subject of words, the other night (on the Horror channel) Tuvok, in Start Trek Voyager, used the word sophistry which I was immensely impressed by. I have never heard it any film or tv show before.

My mate Steve took umbrage when I suggested Tuvok was a better Vulcan character than Mr Spock. Voyager is my favourite of the Star Trek shows.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:On the subject of words, the other night (on the Horror channel) Tuvok, in Start Trek Voyager, used the word sophistry which I was immensely impressed by. I have never heard it any film or tv show before.

My mate Steve took umbrage when I suggested Tuvok was a better Vulcan character than Mr Spock. Voyager is my favourite of the Star Trek shows.

Mine too! 7 of 9 helped though!
Last edited by Adam Eterno on 19 Jun 2017, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sorry, wrong thread!!!!

Cut and pasted, and about to be moved---must concentrate harder!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Questor featured in the Wizard in the 1970s so that is good enough for me.
I know that, but he wasn't a querist though, was he?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Talking of words
Aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh?  :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Yru'oe rhgit, taht was vrey esay to raed

starscape

Post by starscape »

what a load of sloblocks
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

big bad bri